"Northeast Paris in late Autumn" Paris by calcaf38
Paris Travel Guide: 22,161 reviews and 53,866 photos
I was born in Paris. I grew up there, off and on. As a result, I don't think of Paris in terms of tourism, and my Paris page will be one of my shortest efforts.
This is a page about the neighborhood where my father lives now: the Northeast (I grew up in the South of Paris). It is a "popu" district, working class, relatively affordable. You can still imagine teenage Edith Piaf singing on street corners. Edith would be surprised, though, to see how multicultural Belleville has become: Chinese, Arabs, Jews, and Africans live there in what appears to be harmony.
I only spent one and a half day in Paris this time (after a few days in Provence). My goal was to walk the whole length of the Canal Saint-Martin. You can enjoy the canal, vicariously, via the travelogue.
I traveled with my teenage son, and I enjoyed seeing Paris through his disbelieving eyes...
- Pros:Away from the tourist attractions
- Cons:Slowly being gentrified
- In a nutshell:Nostalgic working-class Paris flavor
The whole Belleville / République / Buttes Chaumont neighborhood is a great place to imbibe Paris atmosphère without... more travel advice
This huge cemetery (119 acres) is the final resting place for many Parisians, and for celebrities. This is where Oscar... more travel advice
calcaf38's Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Perambulations in Paris!"
- "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- "Three plus one of the best museums in the world."
- "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- "Beatchick's Paris Adventure!"
- "Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paris
- Hotels in Paris
- Transportation in Paris
- Nightlife in Paris
- Restaurants in Paris
- Shopping in Paris
- Warnings and Dangers in Paris
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 5 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Are you a tricky planner?"
- updated a Paris Travel Page "Northeast Paris in late Autumn"
- Wrote a Review A great neighborhood to walk around about Walking in Paris Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "A great neighborhood to walk around"
- Commented on one of Nemorino's Paris travel pages
Photos in ParisSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Cuenca Intro, 24 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 31 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 20 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos
- Quito Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tela Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Carlisle Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos
Latest Paris hotel reviews
- Campanile - Paris Xi - Bastille
- 143 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Hotel Sofia
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 3, 2013
- RELAIS ST JACQUES
- 154 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- Iliade Paris VIII Hotel Paris
- 111 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Hotel Printemps
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 30, 2012
- Best Western Hotel Sydney Opera
- 107 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- Hotel D Angleterre
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Hotel de Chevreuse
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 4, 2006
- Best Western Au Trocadero
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Hotel Mayfair
- 294 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Hotel Royal Cardinal
- 247 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Citadines Place D'Italie Paris
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Libertel Montmartre Duperre
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013