"Novgorod" Top 5 Page for this destination Velikiy Novgorod by ania70pl
Velikiy Novgorod Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 244 photos
Novgorod means "new town". The most convincing is the opinion that Novgorod historically had been preceded by the Gorodishche, a hill on the right bank of the Volkhov river, two kilometres upstream from the Kremlin of Novgorod. The word "gorod" in ancient Russia meant a fortified settlement, a fortress. In the 10th century a new wooden fortress (new town) formed up to the north of this original settlement (the Gorodishche) on the very site where today stands the Cathedral of St. Sophia.
This is nice hotel's restaurant. We had there a kind of goodbye supper as it was the last night of our trip. The food... more travel advice
The Belfry of St Sophia is a monument of the 15th-17th centuries. The first stone structure with three stair-wells was... more travel advice
ania70pl's Related Pages
Velikiy Novgorod Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Velikiy Novgorod"
- "More than 1000 years old city"
- "Novgorod the Great"
- "Novgorod, an attractive city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Velikiy Novgorod
- Hotels in Velikiy Novgorod
- Transportation in Velikiy Novgorod
- Nightlife in Velikiy Novgorod
- Restaurants in Velikiy Novgorod
- Shopping in Velikiy Novgorod
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Velikiy Novgorod
- 8 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Velikiy Novgorod?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Velikiy Novgorod
Photos in Velikiy NovgorodSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Warsaw Intro, 53 reviews, 83 photos, 5 travelogues
- Poland Intro, 40 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Szczawnica Intro, 25 reviews, 23 photos
- Tatrzanski Park Narodowy Intro, 25 reviews, 22 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Turkey Intro, 22 reviews, 17 photos
- Zakopane Intro, 18 reviews, 14 photos
- Krakow Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Berlin Intro, 16 reviews, 14 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos