Poland Favorite Tips by ania70pl
Poland Favorites: 178 reviews and 147 photos
Favorite thing: The name of Poland comes from the name of the Polanie tribe. In IX - X century there existed a few pre-state territorial organizations. Polanie, who settled near Gniezno, managed to unite most tribes dwelling in the area and established the state reigned by the Piast dynasty. The first Piast prince to be mentioned by contemporary historical sources, Mieszko I was baptized in 966, thus starting the process of Poland's Christianization and placing the Polish state in the political system of Central Europe.
White Eagle has been a symbol of Poland since 1295.
Town Hall in Kalisz
Favorite thing: The oldest Polish city is probably Kalisz. For the first time it was mentioned in II century (as a Calisia).
Gniezno, former Polish capital city is from VIII century
Cracow was mentioned for the first time in 965.
Favorite thing: You can exchange money in bank or in exchange office (KANTOR WYMIANY WALUT). Rates in exchange offices are better.
Banks are generally open from 9 AM to 5 PM or 6 PM. Exchange offices open at 8 AM and close at 6 or 7 PM. They are often open on Saturday and Sunday. The central bank in Poland is Narodowy Bank Polski (The National Bank of Poland).
Credit cards are accepted in shops, travel offices, airlines agencies, fuel stations etc.
You shouldn't have any troubles with getting money from ATM's, there is about 7000 of them in Poland.
Favorite thing: I know that you aren't able to learn Polish before you go to Poland, but it would be better to know some phrases, because especially in smaller cities it can be hard to communicate in English or other foreign languare.
Good morning; Dzien dobry
Goodbye: Do widzenia
Good evening: Dobry wieczor
Good night: Dobranoc
How are you?: Jak sie masz?
I am ok: W porzadku or Czuje sie dobrze
I don't understand: Nie rozumiem
Thank you: Dziekuje
Excuse me: Przepraszam
I'm sorry: Przykro mi
Afternoon: Po poludniu
Town Center: Centrum miasta
Tourism Office: Biuro turystyczne
Cash machine: Bankomat
100 000: Sto tysiecy
1 000 000: Milion
Favorite thing: Legislative authority - Sejm and Senate of the Republic of Poland.
Executive authority - The President and the Council of Ministers.
Judicial authority - The courts and tribunals.
The president is elected in a general election. The term lasts for 5 years from the date the President is sworn into office.
The Parliament - Sejm and Senate of the Republic of Poland. The term lasts for 4 years.
Sejm - 460 deputies elected in national election.
Senat - 100 senators elected in national election.
Favorite thing: Poland has 16 provinces (wojewodztwa):
Favorite thing: 1 of January
First and Second Day of Easter
1 of May
3 of May
15 of August
1 of November
11 of November
25 and 26 of December
Favorite thing: 1 of May - National Holiday
3 of May - proclamation of Constitution
11 of November - Independence Day
Favorite thing: Citizen of most of European countries and the USA don't need visa for stay not longer than 90 days. Full list of countries which citizens don't need a visa you can find on page http://www.poland.pl/info/visa.htm
Favorite thing: Language: Polish
Time: GMT/UTC plus one hour
Electricity: 220 volts, 50 Hz AC
Weights & measures: Metric
Currency: 1 zloty = 100 grosz
More Reviews (27)
- See All Wielka Orkiestra Swiatecznej Pomocy
- See All Kazimierz Dolny
- See All Wroclaw
ania70pl's Related Pages
Poland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paul's Poland Page"
- "Between East and West .... in central Europe"
- "Sharrie's Poland Life-force"
- "Republic of Poland"
- "Countless reasons to Fall in Love...."
- "Poland - I wouldn't like to live somewhere else"
- "Why don't you come to Poland?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Poland
- Hotels in Poland
- Transportation in Poland
- Nightlife in Poland
- Restaurants in Poland
- Shopping in Poland
- Warnings and Dangers in Poland
- See All...
Explore the World
- Tsitsikammabos en Seekus Nasionale Park Hotels
- Port Henderson Hotels
- Osaka Hotels
- Parish of Saint Mary Hotels
- Nowy Sacz
Badges & Stats in Poland
- 194 Reviews
- 250 Photos
- 99 Forum posts
- 8 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Poland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Poland
- Posted in Travel Gdansk Forum "Re: How convenient to travel by..."
- Wrote a Review Wielka Orkiestra Swiatecznej Pomocy in Poland Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wielka Orkiestra Swiatecznej Pomocy"
- Commented on one of margaretvn's Poland travel pages
- updated a Poland Travel Page "Poland - I wouldn't like to live somewhere else"
Top 10 Pages
- Warsaw Intro, 53 reviews, 83 photos, 5 travelogues
- Poland Intro, 40 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Szczawnica Intro, 25 reviews, 23 photos
- Tatrzanski Park Narodowy Intro, 25 reviews, 22 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Turkey Intro, 22 reviews, 17 photos
- Zakopane Intro, 18 reviews, 14 photos
- Krakow Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Berlin Intro, 16 reviews, 14 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
Top Poland hotels
- Krakow Hotels
- 4456 Reviews - 10366 Photos
- Warsaw Hotels
- 2979 Reviews - 7180 Photos
- Gdansk Hotels
- 1179 Reviews - 3544 Photos
- Wroclaw Hotels
- 813 Reviews - 2158 Photos
- Zakopane Hotels
- 356 Reviews - 850 Photos
- Katowice Hotels
- 214 Reviews - 491 Photos
- Szczecin Hotels
- 304 Reviews - 1138 Photos
- Lublin Hotels
- 185 Reviews - 450 Photos
- Bialystok Hotels
- 67 Reviews - 188 Photos
- Poznan Hotels
- 344 Reviews - 921 Photos
- Bydgoszcz Hotels
- 55 Reviews - 131 Photos
- Sopot Hotels
- 144 Reviews - 388 Photos
- Torun Hotels
- 251 Reviews - 496 Photos
- Czestochowa Hotels
- 113 Reviews - 279 Photos
- Lodz Hotels
- 142 Reviews - 463 Photos