"A friendly little town in the South" Sittard by ger4444
Sittard Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 22 photos
Charlemagne once was in Limburg, the southern province of our country, he was in Sittard as he asked an old local woman in the forrest "what time is it"? she answered 19.30 and than Charlemagne said "that late?" in french it is translated "si tard"? and so, the name Si-ttard came into being... this of course is a legend but its a nice anecdote to introduce the town of sittard. Sittard is a very intersting town, again, real off the beaten path as it comes to vistit the Netherlands but its for some reasons worth it to pay a small visit. its has some interesting things to explore that are unique and therefor its just a pleasant braek and a nice change of scenery.
Sittard is one of the oldest towns in the Netherlands since it got its privileges as early as in the 13 th. Century. The town has a lot of monuments and has some interesting musea. It’s a lively town, there are a some towntheaters, lots of pubs (around the old cosy townsquare), and there are many festivities that they celebrate here, such as of course Carnaval. The centre town has old historic buildings such as houses in timber framing style. Must sees are: the Agnetenwal (the old town is still for 75 percent surrounded by a city wall) the Winery Wanenberg (located in the area of Windraak), the Sanderbout fortress (build in the middle ages as a part of the towns fortifications), the Stadsbroeker mill, the St Petrus church (most known for its unique 80 meter high tower), The Domein Museum (is a museum about local history and it contains also contemporary art)
this page is currently under construction i will write more info's if i find time
ger4444's Related Pages
Sittard Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sittard, Netherlands"
- "Small town worth an hour or more"
- "Sittard Geleen"
- "A friendly little town in the South"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sittard
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Sittard?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sittard
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maastricht Intro, 361 reviews, 443 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 205 reviews, 270 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 71 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bulgaria Intro, 73 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Koprivshtitsa Intro, 52 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Veliko Turnovo Intro, 50 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rilski Manastir Intro, 32 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bansko Intro, 33 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Arbanasi Intro, 32 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belogradchik Intro, 30 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues