"The heart of the National Revival" Top 5 Page for this destination Koprivshtitsa by ger4444
Koprivshtitsa Travel Guide: 96 reviews and 276 photos
Koprivshtitsa is beautifully located in the woods and between the hills. Koprivshtitsa comes from the Bulgarian word kopriva, meaning "nettle." It is one of the most charming small Bulgarian towns. The picturesque small town with restored churches, red tiled roofs breathes out charm and history and At the trainstation of Karlovo I had to wait for hours for a bus to Koprivshtitsa so I decided to take a taxi for the 60 kilometres drive. The drive was inexpensive and I would not lose the morning in the town. Korivshtitsa is situated in the impressive Sredna Gora mountains of central Bulgaria and laying on the Topolnitsa River the town has cobbled streets, timbered houses and stone bridges. You see stone walls, overgrown with flowers, heavy iron-studded gates, houses in all sorts of colours, with veranda’s, bay windows and eaves. The town has a lot of so called national revival architecture. Koprivshtitsa is one of the most typical Bulgarian towns, where the atmosphere of the Bulgarian National Revival period of the 19th century still remains. The architectural monuments from this period, 383 in total, have been, largely, restored to their original appearance. ) The town has six museums but is itself a museum town. The houses dated to the second half of the 19th century have exquisite painted facades and sunny verandas, with carved ceilings and stylish European furnishings. Declared a museum-town in 1952, Koprivshtitsa was added as a historical preserve in 1971 and was recognized as a national architectural preserve of international standing in 1978. In this museum town you find collections of ethnographical treasures, art work from the National Revival period, national costumes, jewellery, fretwork, weapons and crafts.
Koprivshtitsa was probably founded in the fourteenth century, by boyars and refugees escaping from the Ottomans. In the beginning of the nineteenth century the town has grown to a wealthy and economically powerful town. Trade of animal and their products were the cause of that. Because of its richness, the town was called ‘Little Istanbul.’ Wealthy and costly houses by the class of ich merchant class. Because of brigands the town had been rebuild several times. The houses build by the rich merchands , had beautiful different bright colours. These houses were surrounded by high walls as said, so that the Ottomans couldn’t hear what plotting was going on behind these high walls. The town is closely connected to the revolt against the Ottomans because it was the heart of the April rising against them. In this place you ll find the names and birth houses of the revolunaires such as Benkovski, Botev and Levski. And at the famous Kableshkov bridge is the place where Todor Kableshkov first proclaimed the national uprising. This happened on 20 april 1876. After de independence from the Turks, many intellectuals and merchants left Koprivshtitsa for the cities. The ton now lives on tourists.
The numerous museums, the old walls, the wooden yard gates, 200-year-old buildings and court-yards in their typical colors, take you back in time. Allthough centuries old, the town has not lost its vitality.Everywhere you can see the diversity of the rural life. There are still Horse carriages, or donkeyes carrying hay wagons.Cows are walking in the streets. And the village is surrounded by a beautifull landscape of forests and mountains that go up to 1600 metres. The town looks peaceful and romantic.and its surroundings have a diversity of impressions, wonderful panorma’s and its worth to see the sunset over the town, from the hills. A lot of the old houses are now family run restaurants and hotels. Restaurants are taverns, serving local dishes. Once in the five years there is a popular folk festival, one of the biggest in the Balkan. The following sights should not be missed. the Oslekov House, the Georgi Benkovski House, the Lyuben Karavelov House, the Debelyanov House the Todor Kableshkov House, the Lyutov House, the Gerov House, the Church of St Nicholas, Kalachev most, the Hadzhi Nencho Palaveev Centre. I visited the little town for one day. I started my walk at the Karavelov house and went the whole way southwards to Equestrian monument. The town is small enough to visit everything by feed. It is said that Kopvrivstitsa is more beautifull than the other musem towns of National Revival architecture. So explore it yourself
- Pros:beautifl colored houses
Like always, ask for a bulagian menu card, otherwise you ll pay more, in a restaurant. An, at Chuchara the beer was... more travel advice
tourist shop, nothing special a carpet or a bag made from cloth more travel advice
- Hiking in the Sredna Gora
- See All RE-enactment of the 1876 April Upsrising
- See All Leaving Koprivshitsa
- See All Mehana Startite Borove
- See All Lomeva Kâshta Tavern
ger4444's Related Pages
Koprivshtitsa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The heart of the National Revival"
- "The most revivel Bularian city"
- "A Jewel in the Mountains"
- "A tipical bulgarian town"
- "My preference"
- "Bulgaria's Treasure Chest"
- "Cute little town in the mountains of Bulgaria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Koprivshtitsa
- Hotels in Koprivshtitsa
- Transportation in Koprivshtitsa
- Nightlife in Koprivshtitsa
- Restaurants in Koprivshtitsa
- Shopping in Koprivshtitsa
- Warnings and Dangers in Koprivshtitsa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Koprivshtitsa
- 52 Reviews
- 71 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Koprivshtitsa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Koprivshtitsa
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The Eurovision Song Contest..."
- updated a Koprivshtitsa Travelogue "A walk trhrough and around the town (2)"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A walk trough and around the town (1)"
- Wrote a Review Tourist friendly in Koprivshtitsa Tourist Traps
- Commented on one of Assenczo's Koprivshtitsa travel pages
Photos in KoprivshtitsaSee All Photos (71)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maastricht Intro, 361 reviews, 443 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 205 reviews, 270 photos, 2 travelogues
- Romania Intro, 92 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 71 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bulgaria Intro, 73 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Koprivshtitsa Intro, 52 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Veliko Turnovo Intro, 50 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rilski Manastir Intro, 32 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bansko Intro, 33 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Arbanasi Intro, 32 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue