Melnik Off The Beaten Path Tips by ger4444
Melnik Off The Beaten Path: 8 reviews and 10 photos
The monastery has a six angle pattern with a yard, surrounded by residential buildings. The buildings were constructed in different periods, the diningroom,farmbuidlings and bone vault being the oldest. Besides the waalpaintings the monastery is weel known for the stain glass and woodcarvings. The icon of Mary is one of the few copies of a sacred iron, owned by a widow of Greece. During rthe Byzantine rule the widow threw the icon in the waters to avoid it getting destroyed by the Byzantines. The icon didn’t sink gut floated for years until it in 999 reached the Iviron monastery in Greece.
The moanstery offers no food nor accommodation. But 500 meters down the road you find a restaurant and guesthouse.
The monastery is the biggest sanctuary in the Pirin mountains. The name “rozhen” has nothing to do with “roses” but it comes from the Bulgarian word Rozhdenie, which means birth and refers to the name of the monasteries church, the Birth of the Virgin church. Under the reign of Despot Slav the monastery gor extended with a number of buildings and after it had been destroyed by the Turks it got renovated from 1715 on. The church got completely renovated in 1732.
Sandanski can be visited for a half day, when you are on your way to Melnik by bus or train (the trainstation is 5 kilomteres outside the towncentre). It could also be a good alternative for nightlife if you want more than Melnik offers. The place is known for being the birthplace of Spartacus who led the rebellion of the slaves in 74 Before Christ. From the busstation you walk north to the ploshta Bulgaria, where the tourist info is located. From that square head to the right at the pleasant boulevard Makedonia, where you find lots of cozy pubs. This street comes out at a hughe city park with terraces, a lake, a summer theater and mineral baths. A street, parallel at the boulevard is the Gotse Delchev street, here the Sveti Georgi church is located, the towns main attraction. This church is build in 1861 and it is the oldest church in town.
The Rozhen monastery, also known as the Birth of Virgin Mary monastery is situated 6 kilometres north of Melnik. You can hike to there. The complex is build in 1217 originally but nothing is left from the original buildings. In the 16 th century the monastery was rebuild, but the Ottomans ruined the place. What you now can see is from the 18 th century. The 17 th century Nativity of the Virgin Mary church has old murals of the 18 th century and great woodcarvings. Beautifull is the courtyard with it vine and panorama over the rocks. Near the monastery is also the closed St Kiril and Metodii Church with its grave of Yana Sandanski, the revolutionist. Hiking from Melnik to the monastery starts at the trail that leaves from the Boyaskata Kashta ruins, but you better take the bus, cuz this trail has no shadow and its hot walking there in summer. Admission is free, but give a small donation. Filming is not allowed. its open till 7 pm
More Reviews (26)
- See All Chinarite restaurant
- general tip
- no facilities
ger4444's Related Pages
Melnik Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Melnik, Bulgaria"
- " So much wine, so little time! "
- "MELNIK - A JEWEL IN THE PIRIN MOUNTAINS"
- "Melnik, a traditional village of Pirin Mountains"
- "A town in the rocks"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melnik
- Hotels in Melnik
- Transportation in Melnik
- Nightlife in Melnik
- Restaurants in Melnik
- Shopping in Melnik
- Warnings and Dangers in Melnik
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Melnik
- 30 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Melnik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melnik
Photos in MelnikSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maastricht Intro, 361 reviews, 443 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 205 reviews, 270 photos, 2 travelogues
- Romania Intro, 127 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 71 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bulgaria Intro, 73 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Koprivshtitsa Intro, 52 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Veliko Turnovo Intro, 50 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rilski Manastir Intro, 32 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bansko Intro, 33 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Arbanasi Intro, 32 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue