"Hayward, CA.....my self taught swimming days" Hayward by sargentjeff

Hayward Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 22 photos

I moved to Hawyard as a little kid. I think I was about 5 years old. I went to Kindergarten and first grade here.

My dad was the manager of the Apartment complex we lived in, and he was also responsible for keeping the swimming pool maintained. I didn't know how to swim, so he'd throw his car keys into the pool and make me dive after them. this of course was an effort to kill me to collect on the insurance policy....NOT! I loved this game and continued to get them deeper and deeper. I taught myself to swim by the pool steps. I'd swim back and forth on the steps just by the edge. I knew I could always stand up, so I was more secure this way. C'mon I was 5!

I kept working my way further and further from the steps until I finally considered myself a natural fish. I later went on to join a swim team and compete as a youth and teen. I do truly love the water and swimming is such a wonderful activity.

I remember the sign by the pool...."we don't swim in your toilet, so don't pee in the pool" I don't think I really paid attention to the sign. :)

I also learned to ride a bicycle at these apartments. Again, self taught on my friends tiny little bicycle. No wonder I love doing triathlons as an adult. Come to think of it, I was always running from the neighborhood bullies too....

The picture is from my first grade class at Shepherd elementary. Embarrassing, but who cares?

ciao tutti, and thanks for stoppin by.

• Last visit to Hayward: Dec 1969
  • Intro Written Aug 1, 2002

Comments

sargentjeff

“Just Do It.....and keep on doing it for the rest of your life”

Badges & Stats in Hayward

Have you been to Hayward?

Latest Activity in Hayward