Italy Transportation Tips by sargentjeff
Italy Transportation: 348 reviews and 244 photos
You will most likely fly into one of the major airports. Train stations are usually accesible by bus or within walking distance. Cabs are an option, but of course are more costly
I've created a Travelogue entitled Traveling around Italia with more info and pictures of things you will see while driving in Italy.
Getting around Italy can be quite a challenge for the unaccustomed driver. Be careful in big cities if you drive. Be very defensive. Many Italians are very aggressive, and will take more risks, such as sudden lane changes and tailgating at high speeds. Flashing headlights is also a way of saying 'get outta my way'. A left turn signal constantly on in the fast lane means I want to pass you, pull over.
Expect to see lots of signs, especially in cites. There are often numerous signs at one intersection pointing the direction to every hotel, restaurant, city, etc...
Many gas stations are closed on Sundays, as well as around midday. Use a credit card for purchasing during these times.
The Viacard is a prepaid plastic card, which can be inserted into a slot at tollbooths. The appropriate sum will be automatically deducted from the card, and this method of payment is quite quick. Additionally, the lines more bearable.
Drawbacks? This is no Smart-card! For example if you go to pay a toll of 12.000 lire with a card which has only 10.000 lire remaining, it’s not possible to stick in a new card and have only the remaining 2.000 lire deducted.
Advice: always carry a spare card and use exact sum or more when paying, or go to the manned booths, which can handle mixed payments of card and cash.
Viacard passes can be bought at most (not all) tobacconists’, at the autogrill restaurants, and at tollbooths.
Its logo signals which lane is enabled to handle credit card payments. Almost all tollbooths equipped to handle Viacard payments will also accept most major credit cards -especially VISA. The toll is charged to your account at no additional costs.
To determine whether your credit card is accepted by the Società Autostrade, just call their toll-free client-service number from anywhere in Italy.
For longer stays in Italy, this is the absolute tops in automatic payment systems. If your bank has a branch in Italy, you can ask for a Telepass device.
There are, naturally, a few formalities and some forms to fill out before you’re given your own radar device to be installed in your car by a competent garage.
The radar communicates your car’s approach to each tollbooth so that the bar goes up as you pass. You only slow down but never come to a complete stop. The toll is charged to either your credit card or bank account, according to whatever arrangements have been made with your bank.
Do you really hate the idea of being stuck for hours in the middle of a traffic jam on your vacation? Or might it be nicer to duck into an autogrill for an hour or so ‘til it’s all over?
Autostrade hell can be avoided by tuning your car radio, whereever you are in Italy, to:
Isoradio - fm 103.300
This public service band broadcasts music and traffic updates in Italian, English, French and German.
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Reviews (22)
- Italian Ceramics (Ceramica)
- See All Italian Regions
- See All Ceramics in Nove - Veneto Region
- See All Italian Olive Oil - The World's Best!!
- See All It's customary to have people...
- Palladian Villas in Veneto...
sargentjeff's Related Pages
Italy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Buongiorno Italia, Ti amo Italia"
- "ITALIA - PREGO!"
- "Italia - awakens passion, gives life & confidence"
- "Italia nel cuore"
- "Italy wishlist"
- "The Many Faces of Italy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Italy
- Hotels in Italy
- Transportation in Italy
- Nightlife in Italy
- Restaurants in Italy
- Shopping in Italy
- Warnings and Dangers in Italy
- See All...
Explore the World
- Provincia de Salcedo Hotels
- Aibonito Hotels
- Ofcolaco Hotels
- Clute Hotels
Badges & Stats in Italy
- 199 Reviews
- 388 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 16 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Italy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Italy
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 78 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 23 reviews, 85 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 40 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vicenza Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pompeii Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Venice Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Utrecht Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Florence Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manteca Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
Top Italy hotels
- Rome Hotels
- 11942 Reviews - 26476 Photos
- Venice Hotels
- 8137 Reviews - 21379 Photos
- Florence Hotels
- 5085 Reviews - 11271 Photos
- Sorrento Hotels
- 627 Reviews - 1400 Photos
- Milan Hotels
- 2781 Reviews - 6899 Photos
- Positano Hotels
- 300 Reviews - 633 Photos
- Verona Hotels
- 1698 Reviews - 4255 Photos
- Amalfi Hotels
- 255 Reviews - 728 Photos
- Taormina Hotels
- 259 Reviews - 697 Photos
- Pisa Hotels
- 1394 Reviews - 3924 Photos
- Trieste Hotels
- 744 Reviews - 1940 Photos
- Palermo Hotels
- 472 Reviews - 1147 Photos
- Bologna Hotels
- 1029 Reviews - 2935 Photos
- Lucca Hotels
- 566 Reviews - 1472 Photos
- Rimini Hotels
- 262 Reviews - 604 Photos