Italy Hotel Tips by sargentjeff
Italy Hotels: 397 reviews and 436 photos
Italian hotels are generally well equiped, but are different than what I was used to in the states. Many of the hotels are rather old, and therefore have older, smaller rooms. Prices fluctuate drastically throughout the year, and a 30 euro per person room can cost you 60 euro pp during the summer, especially August, when most Italians go on vacanza. It's called Ferragosto.
Elevators are often tiny; barely holding two people and two suitcases. They run slow, so most of the time I take the stairs.
Most rooms will not have a refrigerator, and most hotels don't have Ice machines. Ice is very hard to find in Italy. Be prepared with Ice packs, if you can get the hotel kitchen to freeze them for you, that is one solution.
Beds. Wow are they small. Many double beds, or Matrimonio rooms, are actually two single beds pushed together. So, you have a crack down the middle of the bed.
A/C: Many hotels do not have A/C
TV: Most rooms come with a TV, but seldom have english speaking channels on them
Star ratings. I notice very little difference between a 3 and 4 star hotel except for the prices.
A five star hotel can be nice or not so nice. Kind of hit or miss.
There are some american chained hotels throughout Italy, and they are usually priced in the higher ranges. Holiday Inn is just one that comes to mind.
Expect to have to show your passport to the hotel upon check in. Some may even want to hold onto it, but try to resist this.
Credit Cards. Be prepared, and try to have a Visa and a Mastercard available. Debit cards will work usually as well. American Express is taken as some, but not all hotels.
Meals. Hotel meals are available as part of a package if the hotel serves food, but it's usually not convenient for a tourist if you are going to be out of the hotel most of the day. Breakfast is usually always included, but will be small. Usually coffee, fruit, cornetto (cresant), ham, cheeses, juice, and maybe some meuslix cereal with whole milk.
50 euro to 200 euro is the normal range
Unique Qualities: Expect the towels to be different than American towels. Sometimes they are very thin linen type towels
Comparison: about average
Directions: As expected, the close you stay to the Centro, the more expensive it will be
More Reviews (22)
- Italian Ceramics (Ceramica)
- See All Italian Regions
- See All Ceramics in Nove - Veneto Region
- See All Italian Olive Oil - The World's Best!!
- See All It's customary to have people...
- Palladian Villas in Veneto...
sargentjeff's Related Pages
Italy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Buongiorno Italia, Ti amo Italia"
- "ITALIA - PREGO!"
- "Italia - awakens passion, gives life & confidence"
- "Italia nel cuore"
- "Italy wishlist"
- "The Many Faces of Italy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Italy
- Hotels in Italy
- Transportation in Italy
- Nightlife in Italy
- Restaurants in Italy
- Shopping in Italy
- Warnings and Dangers in Italy
- See All...
Explore the World
- Holiday Inn St. Augustine Beach
- Grand Casino Hotel Biloxi
- Holiday Inn Rocky Mountain Park
- Hotel Rome - at Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park
- Graceland Resort & Spa Phuket
- Camayan Beach Resort
- Sychar Garden Hotel
- Strawberry Park Resort
- Riviera Hotel
- Camelot Hotel
- Mercure Hotel Welcome
- Principessa Tea Hotel
- Taj Coromandel Hotel
- Gulfview Manor Resort
Badges & Stats in Italy
- 199 Reviews
- 388 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 16 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Italy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Italy
Read real reviews about Italy Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 78 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 23 reviews, 85 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 40 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vicenza Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pompeii Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Venice Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Utrecht Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Florence Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manteca Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
Top Italy hotels
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Venice Hotels
- 8184 Reviews - 21622 Photos
- Sorrento Hotels
- 637 Reviews - 1431 Photos
- Florence Hotels
- 5098 Reviews - 11237 Photos
- Milan Hotels
- 2800 Reviews - 6972 Photos
- Positano Hotels
- 300 Reviews - 633 Photos
- Verona Hotels
- 1711 Reviews - 4298 Photos
- Bologna Hotels
- 1031 Reviews - 2935 Photos
- Taormina Hotels
- 259 Reviews - 700 Photos
- Bergamo Hotels
- 1095 Reviews - 4313 Photos
- Amalfi Hotels
- 255 Reviews - 728 Photos
- Genoa Hotels
- 726 Reviews - 1881 Photos
- Montecatini Terme Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 96 Photos
- Santa Margherita Ligure Hotels
- 77 Reviews - 258 Photos
- Bari Hotels
- 129 Reviews - 322 Photos