Naples Off The Beaten Path Tips by sargentjeff Top 5 Page for this destination
Naples Off The Beaten Path: 86 reviews and 126 photos
At one time it was sparsely populated, but in the past 50 years it has become overcrowded and stands as an example of what life is like in the "real Naples". By the way, a pizza in Pianura will only cost you 2,50 euro!! That's the best, and cheapest meal you'll ever eat.
The photo was taken just north of Naples in Pinetamare. I lived in a hotel on this beach for six months. The beaches are packed in the summer and worth a visit. They are filthy in the off season, but are magically cleaned up in the spring to prep for summer. The waves are pretty small, sorry no surfing, but the water is warm and there are some good discos and restuarants in Pinetamare.
just getting to naples is an accomplishment in itself. Most tourists put it on the list of 'to sees' in Italy, but never make it that far south. This is the heart and soul of Italy. The people are actually warm and friendly. Family is still valued here, and like the saying goes 'see naples and die'.. go to a real Italian market,you never know what you might find. Posillipo is the high class area and has the best view of the city and bay of naples.
Head to Sorrento as well, you can take the ferry from the port. Capri is also a must.
Sorrento, A beautiful city on the opposite side of the Golfo di Napoli is a great place for Inlaid wood, Limoncello, Great Pizza, and beautiful views. See Sorrento and the entire Amalfi coast when in Naples.
Pozzuoli - It is the birthplace of Sophia Loren and very much a part of the Naples greater city. I would definitely recommend a visit to this small port town when visitiing Naples. There are some great seafood restaurants here, as well as bars and great views of Naples. Some ancients ruins are here as well as the Sulfaterra, which has the distinct Sulfuric smell we all know and don't appreciate.
We spent our wedding night in a small Pozzuoli hotel, and it allowed splendid views of the area.
Caserta. A rather large city outside of Naples. Star Wars, the newer episodes, were filmed partially in the Caserta Palace. Queen Ramadalla's scenes in the palace.
Anyway, there are some neat things to see here. We went out one night to a little place for a great time with the locals. You never know what kind of things you can end up doing. We drove all over the place and finally found a little Restaurant, dance place. There were mostly locals here. Well, all locals in fact. This didn't stop us from having a great time eating some homestyle food and dancing with some feisty old ladies. I think we all had a great time.
Mar's friend Olga, from Naples, her boyfriend Jason, an American, and Olga's cousin, Ciccio (chee-cho) all went together. Ciccio is only about 17 and gets pretty damn funny after a few glasses of wine.
Sperlonga. North of Naples and Gaeta, Sperlonga has some of the most beautiful beaches around. Crystal clear water and nice white sand. I spent a day here and had a great time soakin up the rays with Mar and a group of good friends. Truly a get away place
More Reviews (72)
- See All When it rains it really rains
- See All The Banks on Via Toledo
- See All The Tangenziale
- See All Sort of a sport tip, but more for the...
- See All Capodimonte is famous for some...
- See All The "Audio Guide" at Pompei
- See All The inevitable Worker Strike
- See All The taste you'll never forget...
- Packing List
- See All Pinetamare - The Beach in Naples
- See All My favorite nighttime spot
- See All If you're wondering about that...
sargentjeff's Related Pages
Naples Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "guide to the hidden Naples"
- "Benvenuti a Napoli!!"
- "A city in perpetual motion"
- "NAPLES – the treasure of Campania!!!"
- "Naples....Sun, Aromas and Tastes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Naples
- Hotels in Naples
- Transportation in Naples
- Nightlife in Naples
- Restaurants in Naples
- Shopping in Naples
- Warnings and Dangers in Naples
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Naples
- 78 Reviews
- 137 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 90 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Naples?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Naples
Photos in NaplesSee All Photos (137)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 78 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 23 reviews, 85 photos, 7 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 40 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vicenza Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pompeii Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Venice Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Utrecht Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Florence Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manteca Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Archaelogical Museum- 55 Reviews, 117 Photos
- Galleria Umberto - Shopping District- 19 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Castel dell'Ovo- 23 Reviews, 54 Photos
- Teatro San Carlo- 8 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Duomo - Cathedral- 19 Reviews, 47 Photos
- Piazza del Plebiscito- 19 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Day trip to Herculaneum - Ercolano- 12 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Day Trip to Pompeii- 26 Reviews, 32 Photos
- Palazzo Reale- 22 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Vesuvius - Il Vesuvio- 16 Reviews, 27 Photos
See All Naples Things to Do