"Shkoder - City at the foot of Rozafa Castle" Top 5 Page for this destination Shkoder by HORSCHECK

Shkoder Travel Guide: 145 reviews and 301 photos

During our trip through Montenegro in summer 2010, we also took the chance to hop over the border and explore the old Albanian city of Shkoder for two days.

It is situated at the southern end of the Lake Shkodra, of which about one third is located in Albania and two thirds in Montenegro.

With slightly more than 100.000 inhabitants Shkoder is one of the largest cities of the country. The main sight is probably Rozafa Castle, whose history dates back to before Christ. The castle is also a great place to enjoy panoramic views of the city, the lake and the surrounding region.

Among other architecturally interesting buildings in the city centre are two relatively new mosques, two Catholic churches as well as an Orthodox Church and the Migjeni Theatre.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are."
--- Bertolt Brecht ---

• Pros:Panoramic views from Rozafa Castle; great variety of religious buildings.
  • Cons:No direct transport connections to Kosovo.
  • In a nutshell:Shkoder – Albanian city at the foot of Rozafa Castle.
  • Last visit to Shkoder: Aug 2010
  • Intro Updated Jun 18, 2013

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Hi Holger
    Yet another fascinating and informative page on a place I'd never even heard of (you do seem to specialise in these)!
    This looks like exactly my sort of place, so hopefully one day I'll have opportunity to use this information :)
    Regards
    Cathy

• stevemt's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2013 at 1:49 AM

This town/city has to go on my bucket list, many thanks for showing it to me - Loved the photo's

- STEVE

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2012 at 11:44 PM

The Gjuhadol district looks like a pleasant place to stroll around in and the view from Rozafa Castle seems to be worth the climb (or taxi ride).

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Thanks for visitng my various Algarve pages, Holger!
    You've got a brilliant Shkoder page here with lots of good information and photos. It was good to see pics of the Vllaznia Shkoder football stadium; I always like to seek out the local stadium for a quick look around!
    I'm hoping to visit Albania from Ohrid next week; definitely Pogradec and hopefully Korca as well if we can find transport to get us there.

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Oh! Albania has changed a lot since Ismail Kadare (joke!)Strangely I dream since long to visit that country (and Eastern Europe in general)and just begin to put my feet there. You made this multicultural city very interesting Holger! Beautiful page.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2011 at 3:25 AM

Holger, Thanks for the insight into Albania. It is somewhere I have never thought of going, so it was nice to read your pages!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Though I was in Shkodra not long ago, I understand that quite a lot have changed. The whole Albania is changing fast! Thanks for this excellent page.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2011 at 9:11 AM

A very good page on Albania. I have been close to it when I visited Montenegro, but was travelling with Serbians and they were not too keen on visiting Albania. Maybe some day.

• pure1942's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2011 at 4:49 AM

Smashing page Holger. Did a similar trip from Ulcinj in 2009. Sheshi Demokracia was basically a chaotic building site during our visit but I guess from your pictures it's now finished!

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I really enjoyed your pages ...wish we had continued on to Albania when we visited Croatia and Bosnia.Lead Mosque looks wonderful.

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Shkoder

Have you been to Shkoder?

Latest Activity in Shkoder