"Nis - Serbian metropolis on the Balkan trade roads" Top 5 Page for this destination Nis by HORSCHECK

Nis Travel Guide: 181 reviews and 459 photos

In September 2009 we explored Serbia for more than one week. Our first stop in this fascinating country was Nis, which is situated at the river Nisava in Southern Serbia. We reached the city by train from Sofia in Bulgaria and left it by train to Belgrade; Serbia's capital.

With more than 250.000 inhabitants, Nis is Serbia's third largest city as well as an important university town in the Balkans.

We spent 2 nights in Nis which gave us time enough to explore almost all sights from the Turkish Fortress in the city centre to the famous Skull Tower on the outskirts of the town. We even went on a sidetrip to the well known spa resort Niska Banja.

"Write as you speak and read as it is written."
--- Vuk Stefanovic Karadzic ---

• Pros:Relaxed atmosphere; gorgeous tourist sights.
  • Cons:Streets under construction; too many cars.
  • In a nutshell:Serbian metropolis on the Balkan trade roads.
  • Last visit to Nis: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Jan 10, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Hi Holger, I saw the green update flag & came back for another look at your fine Nis page. I especially like your "Nis by night" photos on your General Tip.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Thanks so much for an interesting tour of Nis. I can always rely on you for historical information and good photos about places I may not be able to visit.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2010 at 9:08 AM

wonderful reading, so much about this region i don't know, and some great pictures.

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Nice, the skulls tower is impressive

• pure1942's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Another great page Holger. Makes me regret not stopping by Nis on my way to Belgrade :) Have to admit I haven't heard much about Nis apart from its hosting of the EXIT music festival. Thanks for the insight. Brian

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Interesting read. I didn't realize that Serbia had concentration camps, but only in Croatia. I have heard of the Novi Sad massacre where the Hungarian Gendarme gave a helping hand. I wonder what happened to those camps from 15 years ago?

• himalia11's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2010 at 6:17 AM

Great page! The bear at the construction site looks really cute!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Holger, you have a great story about Nis! Thanks for sharing! ><><><

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2010 at 4:27 PM

A very good page on Nis. I must confess though that the photos from Cela Kula made me feel sad. My boyfriend is Serbian and has been to all these places and liked your photos.

• antistar's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Great info. This will really help when I finally get around to seeing the rest of Serbia. This place is high on my list: especially the skull tower.

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Nis