"Prizren - Kosovo's cultural capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Prizren by HORSCHECK

Prizren Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 226 photos

When the idea of holding the "7th official VT Euromeet" in Ohrid and Bitola (Macedonia) in May 2011 came up, it was our idea to us to combine the meeting with a few days in Kosovo. We finally went from Ohrid by bus through Tetovo and Pristina to Prizren, where we spent 3 nights. .

With more than 13000 inhabitants, mostly Albanians, Prizren is the second largest city in Kosovo. It is divided by the Lumbardhi River and surround by the Sar Mountains.

Prizren has a charming historic old town with many cobbled streets, elegant old buildings and cafes as well as restaurants. The city is home to many mosques and other sights from the Ottoman period. Several churches and an ancient fortress on a hill are well worth seeing and offer good photo opportunities.

Unfortunately, many of the sights were damaged during the recent unrests, but most of the reconstructions were almost finished when we visited the city.

Prizren is also a good base to explore some of the surrounding towns. We enjoyed a half day trip by bus to Gjakova in western Kosovo.

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them."
--- Dr. Laurence J. Peter ---

• Pros:Charming historic old town with cobbled streets.
  • Cons:Scars of unrest healing slowly.
  • In a nutshell:Prizren - Kosovo's cultural capital.
  • Last visit to Prizren: Jun 2011
  • Intro Updated Feb 23, 2012

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Looks a lot like Turkey, we're hoping to get to this part of the world later this year!

• pure1942's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Hi Holger. Thanks for the comment on my new intro pic! Love your Prizren page. Heading to Kosovo myself next week so it was interesting to read your page. Great tip about visiting Gjakova. Could be another gem of an 'on off the beaten track' tip like the one I used to visit Blagaj in Mostar!

• zadunajska8's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2012 at 1:20 PM

What an interesting page! I'd never heard of Prizren before, but now I'd be quite interested in going. It sounds like the locals are quite keen to welcome visitors and it must have been good to have local people willing to show and explain their heritage.

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Great page! Actually really looking like in part of Turkey, where I have been. Nice that such smaller places also described in "In your pocket" :)

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Your page here is actually the first page on Kosovo that I read - thanks for sharing. It was a great loss for Serbia to lose Kosovo.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2011 at 2:55 AM

Very interesting page Holger. It's good that you met some local people to explain the sights to you, such as at the Gazi Mehmet Pasha Mosque - I really like the interior there. It's good to know too that they are restoring the damaged buildings, even if you couldn't get inside them all as a result. It was also interesting to see that wall thanking the nations who have recognised Kosovo - what a nice idea to say thank you so publicly!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Another great page on your travels in Europe! Excellent tips as always, making me want to do some proper exploring of interesting OTBP locations such as Prizen.

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Great page Holger! Hope I'll make it to Prizren and the rest of Kosovo one day!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2011 at 2:06 AM

Thanks for dropping by my Basel page, Holger! Switzerland is a country that I need to make a return visit to and do a lot more justice to! Perhaps one day I'll take a trip through the Alps...and I'll be happy to indulge in plenty of the local cuisine! :-)

Thanks for this excellent Prizren page. It looks like a fantastic place to visit and reminds me of Mostar from your photos and descriptions. Prizren is on my list for a visit in 2012!

11 days til Vilnius...and counting! Thanks for your advice and tips.

Have a great weekend,

Jonathan

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Hello, Holger! It's such an attractive destination! Well done! You have paid a visit there! ~ Thanks for sharing!~

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Prizren

Have you been to Prizren?

Latest Activity in Prizren