"Prizren - Kosovo's cultural capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Prizren by HORSCHECK
Prizren Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 226 photos
When the idea of holding the "7th official VT Euromeet" in Ohrid and Bitola (Macedonia) in May 2011 came up, it was our idea to combine the meeting with a few days in Kosovo. We finally went from Ohrid by bus through Tetovo and Pristina to Prizren, where we spent 3 nights.
With more than 13000 inhabitants, mostly Albanians, Prizren is the second largest city in Kosovo. It is divided by the Lumbardhi River and surround by the Sar Mountains.
Prizren has a charming historic old town with many cobbled streets, elegant old buildings and cafes as well as restaurants. The city is home to many mosques and other sights from the Ottoman period. Several churches and an ancient fortress on a hill are well worth seeing and offer good photo opportunities.
Unfortunately, many of the sights were damaged during the recent unrests, but most of the reconstructions were almost finished when we visited the city.
Prizren is also a good base to explore some of the surrounding towns. We enjoyed a half day trip by bus to Gjakova in western Kosovo.
"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them."
--- Dr. Laurence J. Peter ---
- Pros:Charming historic old town with cobbled streets.
- Cons:Scars of unrest healing slowly.
- In a nutshell:Prizren - Kosovo's cultural capital.
The Ottoman style Sinan Pasha Mosque (Xhamia e Sinan Pashes) was completed in 1615. It is said that the stones for the... more travel advice
The Gazi Mehmet Pasha Hamam (Hamsmi i Gazi-Mehmet Pashes) is a typical early-Ottoman Turkish bathhouse. It was probably... more travel advice
- See All Fast Food Bea's
- See All To Prizren by bus
- Guesthouse Oltas Pension
- See All Mosques of Prizren
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Prizren Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Prizren - Kosovo's cultural capital"
- "Prizren 2008"
- "Prizren, Kosovo"
- "Prizren-Kosova's 2. largest city"
- "A flash on the countryside"
- "Prizren, Kosovo"
- "A Nice Break From Pristina : Prizren"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prizren
- Hotels in Prizren
- Transportation in Prizren
- Nightlife in Prizren
- Restaurants in Prizren
- Warnings and Dangers in Prizren
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prizren
- 29 Reviews
- 91 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (88)
Have you been to Prizren?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prizren
Photos in PrizrenSee All Photos (91)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baku Intro, 43 reviews, 170 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yerevan Intro, 42 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- London Intro, 55 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo Intro, 44 reviews, 129 photos