Chernivtsi Things to Do Tips by HORSCHECK Top 5 Page for this destination
Chernivtsi Things to Do: 43 reviews and 141 photos
In the early 20th century more than 30 % of Chernivtsi's population was Jewish and the city was called "Jerusalem on the river Prut".
Before WWII Chernivtsi was home to more than 70 synagoges.
Nowadays there is only one active synagoge in the city. It was built in the early 20th century by Chasidics from Sadora, a suburb of Chernivtsi.
The New Synagoge can be found on Kobylytsia 53, a residential street in the south eastern part of the city centre.
Monument to Paul Celan
The famous poet Paul Celan was born in in Chernivtsi in 1920, when it belonged to Romania. His family was of German-speaking Jewish origin and his original name was Paul Antschel.
A monument with the bust of Paul Celan commemorates him as one of Chernivtsi's most famous citizens. When it was erected in June 1992, it was the first non-soviet monument in the city.
The Monument to Paul Celan can be found at the intersection of the streets Holovna and Kobylytsia, which is near the Park Shevchenko (former: Volksgarten).
Theatre of Music and Drama
Chernivtsi's Theatre of Music and Drama was named after Olga Kobylianska, a famous Ukrainian writer. A statue of her stands just in front of the main entrance.
The theatre was built between 1904 and 1905 by the Viennes architects Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer.
The exterior includes Renaissance style elements, whereas the interior is kept in Baroque style.
The outside side niches around the building contain marble busts of famous composers.
The Theatre of Music and Drama stands at the western end of the Theatre Square (Ploshcha Teatralna).
Heart of Jesus Church
Nowadays the former Jesuits Heart of Jesus Church serves as the regional archieve. The history of the neo-Gothic style building dates back to 1894 when its construction was finished.
The Heart of Jesus Church can be found at Shevchenko street 2, just at the southern end of Chernivtsi's city centre. Its location used to be the place where cattle markets were held.
Heart of Jesus Church, Shevchenko 2, Chernivtsi
St. Paraskeva Church
The St. Paraskeva Church was constructed between 1843 and 1862 after designs of the local architect A. Pavlovsky. It was Chernivtsi's first stone Orthodox church.
At the beginning of 1864 this church was the place where nationally minded Ukrainian students met for a funeral mass for the famous Ukrainian poet Taras Shevchenko.
The St. Paraskeva Church stands at the corner of Zankovetska and Holovna streets, right in the heart of the city centre.
Armenian Catholic Church
The Armenian Catholic Church was constructed in 1875 and named after the saints Peter and Paul. It was built by the Czech architect Josef Hlavka, who also designed the university (former residence for the Orthodox Church Leaders).
Nowadays the building of the Armenian Church serves as an organ hall, as Chernivtsi doesn't have an Armenian congregation anymore.
The Armenian Catholic Church (Organ Hall) is located at Ukrayinska Street 30, just about 500 m east of Chernivtsi's Central Square.
Armenian Catholic Church, Ukrayinska 30, Chernivtsi
Church of the Assumption
The Greek-Catholic Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin was finished around 1821.
The bright yellow church was built in classicistic style, but also includes byzantine and old ukrainian elements.
The Church of the Assumption is located at Ruska Street, which leads to the east from the southeastern corner of the Central Square (Ploshcha Centralna).
Chernivtsi Town Hall
Chernivtsi's Town Hall was constructed between 1843 and 1847 in European classicistic style. The light blue building includes a 50 m tall tower with a chime. At the time of its construction the tower was the highest building in town. The Town Hall is still the official residence of the local government.
The Town Hall is situated at Chernivtsi's Central Square (Ploshcha Centralna), right in the heart of the city centre.
Town Hall, Ploshcha Centralna, Chernivtsi
St. Nicolas Wooden Church
The second of Chernivtsi's two St. Nicolas Churches is the wooden St. Nicolas Church, which is the city's oldest church.
It was built in traditional Bukovinian block construction in 1607. After a recent fire the church had to be completely rebuilt.
The St. Nicolas Wooden Church is located about 5 minutes on foot east of the St. Nicolas Cathedral. Both churches are situated at the eastern end of Chernivtsi's
St. Nicolas Wooden Church, Sahaidachnovo 89, Chernivtsi
St. Nicolas Cathedral
Chernivtsi is home to two St. Nicolas churches. The newer orthodox St. Nicolas Cathedral was finished just before WWII in 1939.
It was designed by the Romanian architect Ion Nanescus and consists of 5 bright blue domes. Due to its twisted turrets, the cathedral is often nicknamed "Drunken Church".
The St. Nicolas Cathedral can be found at Ruska Street 35, which is near the eastern end of Chernivtsi's city centre.
St. Nicolas Cathedral, Ruska 35, Chernivtsi
More Reviews (24)
- Chernivtsi brochure with maps
- See All Public toilets
- Stray dogs
- See All Travel Guides
- See All Trams in Chernivtsi
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Chernivtsi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chernivtsi - The pearl of Northern Bukovina"
- "Chernovtsi., Capital of old Bukovina"
- "Chernivtsi - a littlebit of K&K - Monarchie"
- ""Little Vienna" between Russia and Turkey"
- "Chernivtsi, a Crossroad City"
- "Great Bukovina"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chernivtsi
- Hotels in Chernivtsi
- Transportation in Chernivtsi
- Nightlife in Chernivtsi
- Restaurants in Chernivtsi
- Shopping in Chernivtsi
- Warnings and Dangers in Chernivtsi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chernivtsi
- 36 Reviews
- 115 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Chernivtsi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chernivtsi
- Posted in Travel Rovinj Forum "Re: Travel Rovinj to Zadar"
- Commented on one of lotharscheer's Chernivtsi travel pages
- updated a Chernivtsi Travel Page "Chernivtsi - The pearl of Northern Bukovina"
- Wrote a Review Chernivtsi brochure with maps in Chernivtsi Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Chernivtsi brochure with maps"
Photos in ChernivtsiSee All Photos (115)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo Intro, 44 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 45 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 34 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 42 reviews, 117 photos