"Chernivtsi - The pearl of Northern Bukovina" Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi by HORSCHECK

Chernivtsi Travel Guide: 145 reviews and 437 photos

In May 2008 we explored the Bukovina which is split between Romania and Ukraine. We visited Chernivtsi, the main town of Northern Bukovina, for 4 days. It is situated at the banks of the river Prut and nowadays has about 240.000 inhabitants.

Only in the recent past Chernivtsi belonged to Austria-Hungary, Romania, the Soviet Union and now to the Ukraine. At present more than 60 different nationalities are said to live in Chernivtsi. Architectural styles in the city include Byzantine, Baroque and Gothic.

On a sidetrip from Chernivtsi we visited Sadhora, which was the Jewish centre of the Bukovina and an important place of Jewish Chassidism. I really liked Chernivtsi and the surrounding region a lot, as it has surprisingly much to offer and still seems to be less travelled.

"Reality is not simply there, it must be searched and won."
--- Paul Celan ---

• Pros:Wide variety of cultures and architectural styles; friendly people.
  • Cons:Too many construction sites and scaffolded buildings.
  • In a nutshell:The pearl of Northern Bukovina.
  • Last visit to Chernivtsi: May 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 24, 2014

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Lovely page about a City I had never heard of!Especially your transport tips are always excellent.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2012 at 8:03 AM

A great page. Love the university building. Yes, it is a good idea always to carry some tissue paper in ones bag...

• Pomocub's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Thank you for your comments on my Berlin pages. I am actually thinking about taking a detour to Chernivtsi for one day on a trip to Ivano-frankivsk next year, your page may come in handy.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2012 at 3:20 AM

I knew nothing about this city, so it was of much interest to read and learn about it. I love the Churches, especially the old wooden church and the one with the twisted turret. The train station also is beautiful, and I was surprised at how cheap transport is here. Nice pages of helpful information.

• nhcram's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2011 at 5:27 AM

So now I know where you mean! Looing like a possibility for next year according to Chris!

• mehulraj's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2011 at 8:39 AM

great pages,very informative great pictures

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Holger, I like reading your stories and viewing your photos! Time for me to visit this nice city too...

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2010 at 3:37 AM

Me again, coming back to have a look at your updated Transportation tips. I'm glad to see that they still use trolleybuses in Chernivtsi.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2010 at 2:41 PM

The preserved culture and architecture of monuments are wonderful to view.Great job of showing the town and it beauty.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Great photos and interesting tips, I especially like the tip and photo of the old style tram! Your hotel also seems to have been a great value. Cheers, Bill

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Chernivtsi

Have you been to Chernivtsi?

Latest Activity in Chernivtsi