"Chernivtsi - The pearl of Northern Bukovina" Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi by HORSCHECK
Chernivtsi Travel Guide: 145 reviews and 437 photos
In May 2008 we explored the Bukovina which is split between Romania and Ukraine. We visited Chernivtsi, the main town of Northern Bukovina, for 4 days. It is situated at the banks of the river Prut and nowadays has about 240.000 inhabitants.
Only in the recent past Chernivtsi belonged to Austria-Hungary, Romania, the Soviet Union and now to the Ukraine. At present more than 60 different nationalities are said to live in Chernivtsi. Architectural styles in the city include Byzantine, Baroque and Gothic.
On a sidetrip from Chernivtsi we visited Sadhora, which was the Jewish centre of the Bukovina and an important place of Jewish Chassidism. I really liked Chernivtsi and the surrounding region a lot, as it has surprisingly much to offer and still seems to be less travelled.
"Reality is not simply there, it must be searched and won."
--- Paul Celan ---
- Pros:Wide variety of cultures and architectural styles; friendly people.
- Cons:Too many construction sites and scaffolded buildings.
- In a nutshell:The pearl of Northern Bukovina.
As we stayed 4 days in Chernivtsi, I decided to buy a little brochure about Chernivtsi. Apart from maps of the city... more travel advice
Similar to many towns in Romania, also Chernivtsi seems to be home to many stray dogs. We noticed them all around the... more travel advice
- See All Trams in Chernivtsi
- See All Sadhora
- Hotel Kiev
- Stadium of FC Bukovina Chernivtsi
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Chernivtsi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chernivtsi - The pearl of Northern Bukovina"
- "Chernovtsi., Capital of old Bukovina"
- "Chernivtsi - a littlebit of K&K - Monarchie"
- ""Little Vienna" between Russia and Turkey"
- "Chernivtsi, a Crossroad City"
- "Great Bukovina"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chernivtsi
- Hotels in Chernivtsi
- Transportation in Chernivtsi
- Nightlife in Chernivtsi
- Restaurants in Chernivtsi
- Shopping in Chernivtsi
- Warnings and Dangers in Chernivtsi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chernivtsi
- 36 Reviews
- 117 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (74)
Have you been to Chernivtsi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chernivtsi
- Posted in Travel Lviv Forum "Re: Lviv , Life , Location ,..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Christian Cemetery"
- updated a Chernivtsi Travel Page "Chernivtsi - The pearl of Northern Bukovina"
- Commented on one of lotharscheer's Chernivtsi travel pages
- Wrote a Review Chernivtsi brochure with maps in Chernivtsi Shopping
Photos in ChernivtsiSee All Photos (117)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yerevan Intro, 42 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo Intro, 44 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 45 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 34 reviews, 130 photos