Lviv Favorite Tips by HORSCHECK Top 5 Page for this destination
Lviv Favorites: 42 reviews and 103 photos
Church of the order of poor Clares
Favorite thing: Lviv is home to many churches of various denominations. On our two trips we have probably seen the most popular ones. I have listed them under "Things to do" tips.
Apart from these, we still came across quite a few other interesting churches. Among them were:
The Baroque bell tower of the Church of the Holy Spirit was erected at the Kopernika Street 40 in 1729. At present it houses a museum about Rusalka Dnistrova, which was the first collection of Ukrainian literature.
The Church of the order of poor Clares is nowadays home to a museum about sacral sculptures. The history of the building dates back to the 17th century. It is located at the beginning of Lychakivska Street.
The Roman-Catholic St. Anthony Church got its present appearance in the early 18th century. It can be found at Lychakivska street 49a, just east of the city centre.
Another Roman-Catholic church is situated just west of the city centre at Bandery Street 8. It is the Church of St. Mary Magdalene which was completed in the early 17th century.
The heart of Svobody Prospekt
Favorite thing: Svobody Prospekt (Freedom Avenue) is Lviv's main boulevard in the city centre. It leads from the Opera House in the north to the Mickiewicz Square in the south.
The avenue consists of a wide tree lined pedestrianised area in the middle and one way streets on each side. Near the southern end of the avenue, the Virgin Mary Fountain can be found. Virgin Mary is said to be Lviv's city patroness.
The monument to the famous Ukrainian poet Taras Shevchenko and the so called Wave of National revival are situated in the middle of the avenue. They were erected in the 1990s and are a popular meeting point.
North side of the Market Square
Favorite thing: The history of Lviv's Market Square (Ploshcha Rynok) dates back to the 14th century.
The town hall stands in the middle of the square and it is surrounded by about 44 burgher houses of various architectural styles, each of them has its own story.
Please read my "Things to do" tips for more information about some of the buildings.
The Market Square was always the centre of the town, therefore it has seen many historic events from arrivals of dukes and kings to executions of thieves and adulterers.
Four fountains with statues of Greek gods were erected in the corners of the square in the late 18th century.
Nowadays the Market Square is pedestrianised; only old trams rattle down the southern side.
More Reviews (56)
- See All Monument to Ivan Fyodorov
- See All Cafe Mapa
- See All From Przemysl (PL) to Lviv by marshrutka...
- See All In Your Pocket Guide - Lviv
- See All Dom Knigi
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Lviv Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Gateway to the West"
- "Lviv - The princely city of Western Ukraine"
- "Lviv - mix of Western look and Eastern behaviour"
- "City of Lions and Open Hearts"
- "Lviv - the city of the East and the West"
- "Lwow (Lviv) City of Lion and Dreams"
- "VAs in Lviv 2010"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lviv
- Hotels in Lviv
- Transportation in Lviv
- Nightlife in Lviv
- Restaurants in Lviv
- Shopping in Lviv
- Warnings and Dangers in Lviv
- See All...
Explore the World
- Ayia Napa
- Broadbeach Hotels
- Pembroke Pines Hotels
- Pismo Beach
- Chippis Hotels
- Ennerdale Water Hotels
Badges & Stats in Lviv
- 59 Reviews
- 189 Photos
- 21 Forum posts
- 50 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Lviv?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lviv
- Posted in Travel Split Forum "Re: how long you would suggest to..."
- Commented on one of Raimix's Lviv travel pages
- updated a Lviv Travel Page "Lviv - The princely city of Western Ukraine"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Explore Lviv by public transport"
- Wrote a Review Monument to Ivan Fyodorov in Lviv Things to Do
Photos in LvivSee All Photos (189)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo Intro, 44 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 45 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 42 reviews, 117 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi Intro, 36 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (126)
Latest Lviv hotel reviews
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 31, 2012
- Hotel Leopolis Lviv
- 83 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2013
- Lion's Castle Hotel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2012
- Citadel Inn
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 26, 2013
- Grand Hotel Lviv
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 11, 2013
- The Kosmonaut Hostel
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013