"Lviv - The princely city of Western Ukraine" Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv by HORSCHECK

Lviv Travel Guide: 761 reviews and 2,466 photos

I have visited Lviv three times. My first visit was at the beginning of June 2007 when we arrived by train from Kosice in Slovakia. It was my first time in the Ukraine and I really fell in love with the country.

So already in May 2008 I returned for my second visit. This time we explored Western Ukraine and Lviv was the last stop in the country, before we left it by night train to Budapest in Hungary.

In June 2010 I visited Lviv for the third time. It was a trip to meet some other VT members just after the 6th VT Euromeet in Krakow.

Lviv is a rapidly developing city, especially tourism wise. Even in the almost one year between my first two visits many new restaurants, pubs, bars, cafes and shops were opened.

With a population of about 750.000, Lviv is a very multicultural city. Due to its varied history and different rulers you will find influences of Austrian-Hungarians, Poles, Greeks, Armenians, Germans, Jews and Russians, just to name the most important ones. This of course corresponds with a wide diversity of architectural sights, especially churches.

"The only way to be sure of catching a train is to miss the one before it."
--- Gilbert K. Chesterton ---

• Pros:Diverse culture and architecture; friendly people.
  • Cons:Too many construction sites and scaffolded buildings.
  • In a nutshell:The princely city of Western Ukraine where the past meets the future.
  • Last visit to Lviv: Jun 2010
  • Intro Updated Feb 23, 2012

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2014 at 3:44 AM

Nice page

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Lviv is in my wish list , but for the time beeing it has been a pleasure to travel with you
    Good tips
    Gracias !!!!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2012 at 3:52 PM

an excellent page, Holger and great updates again since my last visit ! Viennese style all over in the buildings, aus der guten alten K&K-Zeit eben ;-)

• Pomocub's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2011 at 1:13 AM

Hi, Really liked your page. I am visiting Lviv for just a couple of days next spring. Any recommendations on must see things? As I say I am only there for 2 days before I move on to Kyiv and Ivano-Frankivsk. Thanks

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2011 at 1:31 PM

I must admit I have never heard of the Ukrainian opera "Natalka Poltavka" – great that you went to see it at the Lviv Opera! I love maps so I am sure I would like Cafe Mapa. And I would go to Restaurant Amadeus just because of the name.

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Mmmmmmmmmmm........ I became very hungry from your restaurant tips!!!!!!!!!!!!! I should eat something immediatelv!

• pure1942's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Wonderful page Holger. Your page piqued my interest in Lviv a few years back and this summer I got to visit for myself...it didn't dissapoint. Thanks for the inspiration :)

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Excellent page. Spectacular architecture and very good restaurant tips. I am not sure I would appreciate the "special charm" (see transportation tip), though!

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2011 at 9:53 AM

very nice page and thx for renovating my good memories about Lviv

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2011 at 6:16 AM

Great new tips here!

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Lviv