"Altdorf - In the footsteps of William Tell" Altdorf by HORSCHECK
Altdorf Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 102 photos
On a sunny day in March 2011 we took a day trip from Zurich to Altdorf. Altdorf is the capital of the canton Uri, which is one of the smallest districts of Switzerland. In 1292 Uri was one of the founding members of the Swiss Confederation.
Altdorf has only about 8.700 inhabitants and its Town Hall Square is said to be the location where the popular apple-shot of Friedrich Schiller's William Tell has taken place. Hence the famous Tell Monument can be found here, just in front of an old residential tower.
Besides this monument, Altdorf is also home to Switzerland's oldest Capuchin Convent, a few worth-seeing churches and buildings, with the Suworow House being the oldest burgher house of the canton Uri.
"Who comes here from the distant lands of men, for every road leads to the end of the world."
--- Friedrich Schiller in William Tell ---
- Pros:Gorgeous scenery and panoramic views on a sunny day.
- Cons:Not much information available in English.
- In a nutshell:Altdorf - In the footsteps of William Tell.
A local beer brand in the central part of Switzerland, including the cantons of Uri and Schwyz, is the Eichhof beer.... more travel advice
The Tourist Information Office in Altdorf is not only well equipped with all sorts of brochures and maps about... more travel advice
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Altdorf Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Altdorf - In the footsteps of William Tell"
- "LEGEND'S WERE MADE AT ALTDORF"
- "A break after driving the Furka Pass"
- "Altdorf Page"
- "Klaussenpass, Switserland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Altdorf
- Hotels in Altdorf
- Transportation in Altdorf
- Restaurants in Altdorf
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Altdorf
- 20 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (91)
Have you been to Altdorf?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Altdorf
- Posted in Travel Tallinn Forum "Re: 2 days 1 night in Tallinn"
- Commented on one of balhannah's Altdorf travel pages
- updated a Altdorf Travel Page "Altdorf - In the footsteps of William Tell"
- Wrote a Review Swiss beer: Eichhof beer in Altdorf Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Swiss beer: Eichhof beer"
Photos in AltdorfSee All Photos (58)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 190 photos
- London Intro, 65 reviews, 177 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baku Intro, 43 reviews, 170 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yerevan Intro, 42 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Prague Intro, 49 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue