"Sion - The heart of the Rhone Valley" Top 5 Page for this destination Sion by HORSCHECK

Sion Travel Guide: 121 reviews and 426 photos

In August 2007 we explored the Canton of Valais by train and on foot. We spent 3 days in Sion and the surrounding area. With just less than 30.000 inhabitants, Sion is situated in the heart of the Rhone valley.

I must admit that Sion was one of the cities I really had no idea about, but on arrival I quite fell in love with it. The city is dominated by two rocky hills which are home to the medieval castles Valère and Tourbillion.

Apart from that, Sion's picturesque old town offers many worth seeing buildings as well as a surprising number of good restaurants and pubs.

A highlight of our time in Sion was a meeting with the local VT member tripack who seems to be both an expert of his hometown and in BBQ. Together with him we also visited the amazing "Sion en luminère" light festival.

"One sees great things from the valley; only small things from the peak."
--- Gilbert K. Chesterton ---

• Pros:Fabulous scenery and relaxed atmosphere.
  • Cons:Many explanations are only provided in French.
  • In a nutshell:The heart of the Rhone Valley.
  • Last visit to Sion: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 13, 2011

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2011 at 2:05 AM

Interesting place, would lie to hike somewhere here:) Name of "Blonde 25" looks fun, I was thinking only in Lithuania there are fun beer names as "Huriccane Anatolius":)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Nice to find tips with what I could do for free. Lovely photo's of the area which looks to be very nice.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2010 at 1:13 PM

The scenery here is nice and always a castle on top of mountains. YOu did a very good job of describing these sites and the pictures fantastic.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Enjoyed your page. Researching how to travel by train from Warsaw to Paris via Switzerland , late Sept 2010. 7days to enjoy trip. Would enjoy stops in Switzerland. Any recommendations?

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Another one of the areas I'll have to visit next time I'm back in Switzerland. Thanks for your pages.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2009 at 9:29 AM

The sound & light show sounds ideal I love lindt chocolates & would love to see the witches tower = What a good idea to have free bikes to explore around here

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2009 at 6:05 AM

From castles, cathedral, churches, Witches Tower, & Chapel, there appears to be great architecture/History. Sound & Light Show adds a 21st century flair. Underground lake tour was unique; of course, the hiking is always a lovely way to experience an area.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Thanks to you I can see the splendid architecture here! Vielen Dankl!

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2008 at 10:46 AM

I can't believe I hadn't visited this great page on lovely Sion! Looks like the type of place I would like too : )

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2008 at 4:17 PM

You had considerably nicer weather in Sion and Zermatt than us, what a difference a day or two makes!!!

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Sion