"Zermatt - Gateway to the mighty Matterhorn" Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt by HORSCHECK

Zermatt Travel Guide: 536 reviews and 1,497 photos

In August 2007 we explored the Canton of Valais by train and on foot. As the weather predictions at the end of our one week trip were quite good we decided to spend the last few days in Zermatt.

Due to its location in the vicinity of the majestic Matterhorn, Zermatt is one of the world's most famous mountain resorts. With only about 5.600 inhabitants, but beds for up to 13.000 visitors the city itself can be pretty packed.

We were quite lucky with the weather and therefore hiked a lot in the Pennine Alps which surround Zermatt always enjoying the spectacularly panoramic views of the Matterhorn (4478 m).

"The proud peak seems conscious of its glory; it stands apart, as if in all the Alps there were none beside itself."
--- Paul Guiton about the Matterhorn ---

• Pros:Breathtaking views of the Pennine Alps with the Matterhorn.
  • Cons:Zermatt itself can be overcrowded in high season.
  • In a nutshell:Gateway to the mighty Matterhorn.
  • Last visit to Zermatt: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 20, 2012

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2013 at 10:22 AM

What a beautiful area to hike in! I must visit one day. And the old wooden houses in Hinterdorf looks cute.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I can’t believe it’s been nearly five years since I last looked at this page. I’ve still never been to Zermatt, even though I love car-free places.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Excellent page. Cannot believe I missed it until now. Great hikes that you did there! Imagine, I walked down all the way from Gornergrat to Zermatt ... knees hurting later!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Thanks for visiting my Herceg Novi and Sveti Stefan pages, Holger! The opening pic on my Sveti Stefan page was taken just before the storms blew in. By the time we reached the beach, it was thundering and lightning!
    Great Zermatt page you've got here! It looks like there are fabulous scenic hikes and train rides around Zermatt. I enjoyed reading about the local beer too - the "Blonde 25" sounds like a nice refreshing beer after a long hike!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Back again for another look!! Great page with so much to offer! great info. And beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Z'Mutt and the Riffelalp tram are so charming. The Matterhorn looks spectacular. Excellent page!

• Jan 31, 2011 at 4:09 PM

awww man, this is the type of mountain scenery i would love to hike in! awesome page!

• picek's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Lovely page and pics on this paradise region. It tempts me to visit in summer for hiking and to explore its flora and fauna. These goats are very lovely.

• Zajem's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2010 at 3:38 AM

And nor did I enjoyed your Zürich tips. Your Zematt pages are nice as well!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Wow! What stunning weather you had, would make me feel like hiking forever seeing those incredible views!

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Zermatt

Have you been to Zermatt?

Latest Activity in Zermatt