"Bratislava - Gateway to the Little Carpathians" Top 5 Page for this destination Bratislava by HORSCHECK

Bratislava Travel Guide: 2,032 reviews and 4,537 photos

I have been to Bratislava on three daytrips from Vienna in winter 2003/04 and 2005/06. The Slovak capital is home to 430.000 people and it is situated at the river Danube between Vienna and Budapest.

In the past the town was influenced by various nations, therefore both Pressburg (German) and Pozsony (Hungarian) are still well know names. Bratislava has the highest density of population in Central Europe mainly because of its well known apartment block suburb Petrzalka.

The small picturesque Old Town has many lively restaurants, pubs and bars. Points of interest include Bratislava Castle, St. Michael's Gate, the Old Town Square, Novy Most Bridge and last but not least the various charming bronze statues which can be found all around the Old Town.

"The worst thing about being a tourist is having other tourists recognize you as a tourist."
--- Russell Baker ---

• Pros:Lack of mass tourism and friendly people.
  • Cons:Everything became more expensive, since Slovakia joined the EU.
  • In a nutshell:Gateway to the Little Carpathians.
  • Last visit to Bratislava: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 10, 2012

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2012 at 9:37 AM

So glad to find a page I haven't seen before (more than 32000 views and no one of mine, haha!) It brings memory about my visit to Bratislava last summer... We left our car in the parking just at the Slovak National theatre (your first TTD tip). Thank you Holger for sharing!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Nice page!! Looks like making at least a day trip from Vienna to Bratislava is well worth the effort. Thanks for all the great tips and photos!

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Good tips, I'll be there in 7 weeks!

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2011 at 2:19 AM

Fantastic insight into Bratislava, Holger. The city is definitely a good option for a day trip from Vienna although I am undecided whether to take the train or take a boat trip up the Danube!

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Thanks for visiting my Bratislava pages!!Yours are great too and a contrast with the Snow!The Anderson Statue was better than the one in Copenhagen!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Hi, Holger! I've never been there and would not mind visiting it....

• wabIV's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Hello Holger, Wow! Thank you for the awesome tips. Excellent page! I may visit Bratislava for a couple of days on my way to Budapest.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Someone has to test these "dangers" so I resluctantly volunteered. It is a nice town, but I was only there for the day. Best regards, Karl

• MichaelRees's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2009 at 1:58 AM

Useful tips

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2008 at 8:13 AM

Your photography of such stunning architecture is wonderful. I really enjoyed the street bronzes. Wishing for one in my village.

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Bratislava

Have you been to Bratislava?

Latest Activity in Bratislava