Saint Petersburg Transportation Tips by HORSCHECK Top 5 Page for this destination
Saint Petersburg Transportation: 225 reviews and 221 photos
Tram near Park Pobedy
If you feel like taking a tram in St. Petersburg you should know that St. Petersburg has the most extensive tram network with the most trams in the world.
Even though most of the trams are quite old, a trip by tram has its own charm and you can look out of the window while the tram is shaking you all over.
All trams have a conductor on board, so you directly pay the flat fare of 10 rubles (2005) in cash to the conductor, who will come to you to collect the money.
Marshrutka at Nevsky Prospekt
Besides the local buses, St Petersburg's public transport also consists of marshrutkas (minibuses). They usually follow a fixed route between the city centre and the suburbs.
You can hail one or get off wherever you want. The flat fare is displayed on the windscreen and depends on the route, but it is usully something between 10 and 30 Rubles (2005). Just hand the money over to the driver when entering a marshrutka.
It can be a bit tricky to use them, but just watch and observe the locals before trying it yourself. If you are unsure feel free to ask the locals. They are usually friendly and helpful. I used a marshrutka together with VT member yumyum to Tsarskoye Selo (Pushkin) and found it quite convenient and inexpensive for the 25 km.
Lenin Statue at Moskovskaya
Of course St. Petersburg is a huge metropolis, therefore large distances are best covered by public transportation.
Nevertheless, it is sometimes recommended to walk even long distances to get a good idea of the city besides the main sights.
You always come across something interesting which might not be mentioned in your guide book.
Repin train Helsinki to St. Petersburg
I arrived in St Petersburg by train from Helsinki. Trains from Finland arrive at Ladozhsky Station in St. Petersburg and the trip takes about 6 hours. There are three daily trains serving this route.
I left St. Petersburg by train from Moskovsky Station to Moscow. Depending on the train the trip takes between 5 and 8 hours.
Most of the trains serving this route are night trains.
Nevsky Prospekt metro sign
The most efficient and fastest way to explore St. Petersburg is by metro. It consists of 4 colour coded lines. During peak times the frequency is less than 2 min. The metro works on a flat fare, therefore a single token is 10 Rubles (2005). Discount cards with 10 or 25 trips are available.
Be prepared that everything in the metro is only written in cyrillic and metro station signs at the platforms are rare. So the best way to not lose orientation is to listen to the announcements on the trains. Firstly you will hear the arrival station, followed by the next station. If you have lost orientation just get off at a station and read the signs carefully, the next train will arrive in less than 2 min.
At stations where two or more lines meet, the interchange stations often have different names. This can be a bit confusing. It is most helpful to have a metro map with the stations in cyrillic and latin letters. For more info about the metro, please have a look at my "General Tips".
More Reviews (41)
- See All Russian chocolate
- See All Ice cream vendors - Creme Brulee
- Traffic in Russia
- See All Copies of your documents
- See All Public Toilets
- See All Architecture
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Saint Petersburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St. Petersburg: a City for all Seasons"
- "St Petersburg : City of Peter the Great"
- "St. Petersburg in Spring"
- "STUNNING ST. PETERSBURG!"
- "St. Petersburg - City of cathedrals and bridges"
- "St Petersburg in Summer"
- "Saint Petersburg~ Russia at its best!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Petersburg
- Hotels in Saint Petersburg
- Transportation in Saint Petersburg
- Nightlife in Saint Petersburg
- Restaurants in Saint Petersburg
- Shopping in Saint Petersburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Petersburg
- See All...
Explore the World
- Nashik Hotels
- Castletownroche Hotels
- Canlaon Hotels
- Sankt Pölten Hotels
- Kuala Rompin
- Jämtlands Län
- METRA and South Shore Line (suburban rail network)
- Astypalaia Transportation
- Sydney Transportation
- Yerevan Transportation
- Montana Transportation
- Lagos Transportation
- Trams MHD
- Görlitz Transportation
- Polonnaruwa Transportation
- Diyarbakir Transportation
- Fribourg Transportation
- Ehime-ken Transportation
Badges & Stats in Saint Petersburg
- 46 Reviews
- 96 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 54 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Saint Petersburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Petersburg
- Posted in Travel Faro Forum "Re: travel from malaga-spain to..."
- Commented on one of Mikebb's Saint Petersburg travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Money: Russian Ruble"
- updated a Saint Petersburg Travel Page "St. Petersburg - City of cathedrals and bridges"
- Wrote a Review Russian chocolate about Food & Drink in Saint Petersburg Shopping
Photos in Saint PetersburgSee All Photos (96)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo Intro, 44 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 45 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 42 reviews, 117 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi Intro, 36 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (125)
Latest Saint Petersburg hotel reviews
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Hotel Astoria
- 253 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky
- 196 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Hotel Moscow (Moskva)
- 157 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Grand Hotel Europe
- 376 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Radisson Blu Royal Hotel
- 141 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Business Hotel Karelia
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Corinthia Hotel St. Petersburg
- 251 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Herzen House Hotel St. Petersburg
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Park Inn Pribaltiyskaya
- 218 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Nevsky Hotel Aster
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 23, 2013
- By the Hermitage
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 24, 2013
- Hotel Neva
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 14, 2013
- Hermitage- 245 Reviews, 392 Photos
- Cathedrals and Churches- 266 Reviews, 509 Photos
- Monuments- 89 Reviews, 157 Photos
- St.Peter and St.Paul's Fortress- 105 Reviews, 181 Photos
- Palaces- 99 Reviews, 196 Photos
- St.Isaac's Cathedral- 55 Reviews, 92 Photos
- Museums- 152 Reviews, 237 Photos
- Theaters and Concert Halls- 61 Reviews, 70 Photos
- Parks and Squares- 76 Reviews, 140 Photos
- City Environs- 83 Reviews, 179 Photos
See All Saint Petersburg Things to Do