"St. Petersburg - City of cathedrals and bridges" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg by HORSCHECK

Saint Petersburg Travel Guide: 3,519 reviews and 7,466 photos

In June 2005 I put my feet on Russian ground for the first time, which has always been a dream of mine. I arrived in St. Petersburg by train from Helsinki and the city was my holiday base for one week before I headed off to Moscow.

St. Petersburg is home to more than 4 Million people and it is probably the most popular Russian city among tourists. Besides the usual sights like the Church of the Saviour of the spilled Blood, Nevsky Prospect, St. Isaac's Cathedral and Peter and Paul Fortress, I also tried to get an insight into the local life by staying in a private B&B.

Not only the countless chats with my lovely B&B hosts, but also VT meetings with members from Russia, USA and Switzerland have made my time in St. Petersburg unforgettable. With VT members I also went on daytrips to the historical village Staraja Ladoga and the Pushkin town Tsarskoye Selo.

"The use of travelling is to regulate imagination by reality, and, instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are."
--- Samuel Johnson ---

• Pros:Fabulous sights, lovely people and long days in summer.
  • Cons:Traffic is a nightmare and the metro is packed during rush hours.
  • In a nutshell:Venice of the north; City of cathedrals and bridges.
  • Last visit to Saint Petersburg: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 14, 2011

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Hi Holger, this is a most excellent page, and with so much practical info! I have dreamed of going to St Petersburg for a long time, it's so interesting and the churches look like coming from a fairytale.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Great page, Holger! I hope to get to Russia some day! Gillybob greetings

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2011 at 2:56 PM

As usual your tips are great Thank you Gracias !!!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Great Saint Petersburg travel page. The city is certainly high on our list of cities to visit in the near future. Peter and Paul Fortress looks fascinating, and so are the cathedrals, churches, monuments, parks and squares. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Mark and I are planning on going to St. Petersburg next year. Your page is fantastic with so much helpful information. I know I will be checking it again as the time for our trip approaches.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Great page with lots of nice photo's and helpful tips!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2010 at 8:42 AM

an excellent page, Holger, and also a lot of great updates again ! I had been told by the local guides in 2010 that photography in the metro is not forbidden anymore and also never had problems there with it!

• Cool-123's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Thanks for the great info and the nice photos. I wil try to book the B&B from your recommendation.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2009 at 6:39 PM

great intro to st petersburg, enjoyed reading thru it, great church pictures. BTW, the trolley in the snow on your homepage is a 5 star picture - even people looking over my shoulder at work have commented on it

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2009 at 10:06 AM

What a brillant review plenty of hepful advices. Good beer review as usual! Of course I will not forget IYPocket guide, my favourite since Warsaw experience.

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Saint Petersburg

Have you been to Saint Petersburg?