"Brasov - The heart of Transylvania" Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov by HORSCHECK

Brasov Travel Guide: 649 reviews and 1,779 photos

In the autumn of 2007 we visited Romania for one week, 4 days of this were spent in Brasov (German: Kronstadt). It is situated at the foot of the Carpathian Mountains and surrounded on three sides by mountains.

Brasov's history dates back to the 13th century. Due to its location at the intersection of medieval trade routes the city is home to many historic sights and architectural gems. Among them is the well preserved old city with its several churches and interesting buildings.

We also used Brasov as a base to explore some surrounding places like the skiiing resort Poiania Brasov, the so called Dracula castle in Bran and the restored peasant fortress in Rasnov.

"I wish to be buried in Transylvania. My friends will know to find a place according to my wish."
--- Nicolae Titulescu ---

• Pros:Many historic sights and architectural gems.
  • Cons:Risk of grey or rainy weather due to the surrounding mountains.
  • In a nutshell:The heart of Transylvania.
  • Last visit to Brasov: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated May 12, 2012

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2014 at 4:08 AM

Holger, I enjoyed returning and finishing this page great practical information here. Especially like the sound of the Wooden church in the neighbouring town.

• Chinggis_n_Borte's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Nice page, nice photos, and good and interesting tips.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2014 at 10:18 AM

My desire some time ago, and maybe revived one day is to visit this area. Thanks for the tips

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Me again, coming back to look at this fine page again after several years. I think if I were in the area I would visit that Dracula Castle in Bran, since I am something of a sucker for that sort of thing, even if he never really lived there but was only imprisoned there for two days. (Why not longer?)

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Good page. I think I'll do a day trip to Brasov next june.

Ciao!

• MATIM's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2012 at 4:55 AM

Hee Holger like this page. I know Sonja would like me to rate this so I did, allthough I am not in favor of the rating system of VT. However like a real teacher I gave your page a good mark :)

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2012 at 3:55 PM

What a wonderful page and I always enjoy such insightfulness with everything you see. Fabulous page and a very beautiful country.

• TrendsetterME's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2012 at 5:36 AM

Hey Holger, "The Turabo Cafe" looks very tasty ... :) As always, nice and helpful tips ...

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Really enjoyed reading and viewing your photos. Brasov looks quite interesting. I like all the Churches and the Castles you went and saw.

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Hi Holger, a wonderful page about Brasov! It looks like a place that is really worth visiting when doing a trip to Romania. Your tips are very handy and useful! And it is interesting that you liked Rasnov fortress more than the famous castle in Bran that is advertised so much! It is also good to see that everything can be reached so easily by bus - no need for guided tours if one travels without a car :-)

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Brasov