"Sigishoara - Medieval pearl of Transylvania" Top 5 Page for this destination Sighisoara by HORSCHECK
Sighisoara Travel Guide: 397 reviews and 1,090 photos
In April 2012 we explored a few cities in Transylvania. Our trip started in Targu Mures and ended in Cluj Napoca. In between we stayed for two nights in Sighisoara, which was our main destination on this holiday.
The history of Sighisoara dates back to the 12th century when it was founded by German craftsmen and merchants, also known as Transylvanian Saxons. Nowadays it is one of the best preserved medival towns in Europe and inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List since 1999.
Sighishoara's historic centre is located on a hill and dominated by a medieval citadel. It consists of several towers, churches and many colourful burgher houses, which line the cobbled streets and squares.
“Between me and the moonlight flitted a great bat, coming and going in great, whirling circles."
--- Bram Stoker ---
- Pros:Well preserved old town; beautifully illuminated at night.
- Cons:Probably overcrowed with day tourists in high season.
- In a nutshell:Sigishoara - Medieval pearl of Transylvania.
Between the 14th and 16th century the craft guilds of Sighisoara erected 14 towers to protect the town. Nine of these... more travel advice
We left Sighisoara by direct IR train to Cluj Napoca. The 203 km trip took approximately 3,5 hours. As our train came... more travel advice
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Sighisoara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE MOST BEAUTIFULL TOWN IN ROMANIA"
- "Sigishoara - Medieval pearl of Transylvania"
- "Sighişoara: "Dracula's" home town"
- "Sighisoara - Doesn't need to rely on Dracula"
- "Dracula's True Birthplace"
- "Sighisoara-an UNESCO World Heritage site"
- "Sighisoara - Schaessburg - Segesvar"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sighisoara
- Hotels in Sighisoara
- Transportation in Sighisoara
- Nightlife in Sighisoara
- Restaurants in Sighisoara
- Shopping in Sighisoara
- Warnings and Dangers in Sighisoara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sighisoara
- 25 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Sighisoara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sighisoara
- Posted in Travel Georgia Forum "Re: Travel individually in Georgia"
- Commented on one of lotharscheer's Sighisoara travel pages
- updated a Sighisoara Travel Page "Sigishoara - Medieval pearl of Transylvania"
- Wrote a Review Citadel Towers in Sighisoara Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Church on the Hill"
Photos in SighisoaraSee All Photos (80)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo Intro, 44 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 45 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 34 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 42 reviews, 117 photos