"Sigishoara - Medieval pearl of Transylvania" Top 5 Page for this destination Sighisoara by HORSCHECK

Sighisoara Travel Guide: 397 reviews and 1,090 photos

Clock Tower (Tumul cu Ceas) by night

In April 2012 we explored a few cities in Transylvania. Our trip started in Targu Mures and ended in Cluj Napoca. In between we stayed for two nights in Sighisoara, which was our main destination on this holiday.

The history of Sighisoara dates back to the 12th century when it was founded by German craftsmen and merchants, also known as Transylvanian Saxons. Nowadays it is one of the best preserved medival towns in Europe and inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List since 1999.

Sighishoara's historic centre is located on a hill and dominated by a medieval citadel. It consists of several towers, churches and many colourful burgher houses, which line the cobbled streets and squares.

“Between me and the moonlight flitted a great bat, coming and going in great, whirling circles."
--- Bram Stoker ---

• Pros:Well preserved old town; beautifully illuminated at night.
  • Cons:Probably overcrowed with day tourists in high season.
  • In a nutshell:Sigishoara - Medieval pearl of Transylvania.
  • Last visit to Sighisoara: Apr 2012
  • Intro Updated May 21, 2012

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Interesting tips. I had no idea about German origins of Sighisoara - the town which i visited thirty something years ago.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Nice page! I' d like to visit Sighisoara next month. See; Euro VT meeting in Sibiu.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I enjoyed your page Holger, your photos of the old buildings are excellent, rare to see anything like tat in Australia. Romania and surrounding countries are on my "wish list" for our next European holiday, hopefully 2013 or 14. How hot would it be durinng July/ August in Romania?

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2012 at 10:16 AM

The old town of Sighisoara looks lovely! Too bad there is an extra fee to climb the Clock Tower, after you have already paid the admission to the History Museum.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2012 at 8:32 AM

My favorite place during our visit to Romania! I thought Sighisoara was beautiful - and I loved that it is so historic. I would love to spend a couple of days there to explore. :=)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Lovely page Holger! The Orthodox church is a real eye-catcher, pity it wasn't open, but in Australia, most churches are closed too!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Another excellent page of yours, Holger! Wonderful information and pictures are really very helpful for those of us who have yet to visit Romania. I too found the information about the Transylvanian Saxons very interesting. Thanks for some great photos as well.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2012 at 3:57 AM

A great page - I have always wanted to know more about Romania. Didn´t know that there were so many Germans in Transylvania.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Thanks for this very interesting page on your latest travels in Romania. Great photos and excellent information on this historic little country. I have always wanted to explore Europe in more detail and your descriptions here have only increased my desire to get moving!

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2012 at 2:25 PM

The Pensiunea Citadela hotel looks so cute and inviting!

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Sighisoara

Have you been to Sighisoara?

Latest Activity in Sighisoara