"Gdansk - Capital of the Tri-city" Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk by HORSCHECK

Gdansk Travel Guide: 1,190 reviews and 3,603 photos

Gdansk was my holiday base for one week at the beginning of October 2005. The Polish city is situated at the Baltic Sea and has a population of about 460.000. With the seaside resort Sopot and the commercial city Gdynia it forms the conurbation called Tri-city.

Gdansk had a moving history and therefore offers many different memorial places from the WWII monument at Westerplatte to the Monument of the Fallen Shipyard workers at the shipyard gate. Large parts of Gdansk's city centre were destroyed during WWII. The rebuilt Old Town, the Royal Way and the famous Crane at the river Motlawa are the touristy centre of Gdansk. This area is full of all kinds of restaurants, cafes and pubs.

From Gdansk I visited Sopot and Gdynia at the coastline, Koscierzyna and Wdzydze in the Kashubian Switzerland and the sandy peninsula Hel which protects the Bay of Gdansk.

"He who puts out his hand to stop the wheel of history will have his fingers crushed."
--- Lech Walesa ---

• Pros:Fabulous place for historic sightseeing, exciting exploring and affordable dining.
  • Cons:Restaurants, cafes and pubs can be quite empty in low season.
  • In a nutshell:Capital of the Tri-city at the Baltic Sea.
  • Last visit to Gdansk: Oct 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 28, 2012

• meeson's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2014 at 1:08 AM

great and interesting pages, all set now for my visit in a few months time !!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Great tips Holger! I see that I will be busy when I visit Gdansk!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Excellent Gdansk travel page. You have visited quite a lot of cities in Poland. We have only been to Krakow so far. Gdansk seems to be an interesting city to visit and explore. We will certainly consider visiting the city of Gdansk one day. Gdansk by night is certainly beautiful especially the Three Crosses Monument. Thanks for your virtual tour. ~ho & pang

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Hi, Holger! Thanks for your interesting story about Gdansk! Indeed there's a lot to see there...

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Hi Holger
    A cracking good page on a city that continues to creep higher and higher on our To Do list. Perhaps I should further tempt Domestic Management by informing him that a visit would allow us to visit the Fokarium on the Hel peninsula, which might appeal to his sense of humour? :)
    Regards
    Cathy

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Great page Holger. Gdansk has been on my list for years but somehow I can never escape Krakow - too many unvisited bars ;-HIC! I like the sound of Biskupia Gorka tho' - my sorta place. Good transport tips too and ideas for getting about.

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Hi Holger, a fantastic page about Gdansk! I felt like reading about it because it was so much in the news during the recent euro championship :-)
    It really looks like a beautiful city, your pictures are excellent. I love the architecture and the blue water of the river. It is also very useful to know the symbols for male and female toilets!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2012 at 3:45 PM

great informations and some great updates, Holger ! My last time in Gdansk and Gdynia was about 20 years ago, so it would be nice to see it again soon !

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Great updates since December of 2006, Holger! Visiting Poland every year we couldn't explore Gdansk (and northern Poland) unfortunately yet...

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2011 at 3:25 AM

Excellent and helpful page/info I'll use in less than two months!

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Gdansk