"Gdansk - Capital of the Tri-city" Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk by HORSCHECK
Gdansk Travel Guide: 1,186 reviews and 3,586 photos
Gdansk was my holiday base for one week at the beginning of October 2005. The Polish city is situated at the Baltic Sea and has a population of about 460.000. With the seaside resort Sopot and the commercial city Gdynia it forms the conurbation called Tri-city.
Gdansk had a moving history and therefore offers many different memorial places from the WWII monument at Westerplatte to the Monument of the Fallen Shipyard workers at the shipyard gate. Large parts of Gdansk's city centre were destroyed during WWII. The rebuilt Old Town, the Royal Way and the famous Crane at the river Motlawa are the touristy centre of Gdansk. This area is full of all kinds of restaurants, cafes and pubs.
From Gdansk I visited Sopot and Gdynia at the coastline, Koscierzyna and Wdzydze in the Kashubian Switzerland and the sandy peninsula Hel which protects the Bay of Gdansk.
"He who puts out his hand to stop the wheel of history will have his fingers crushed."
--- Lech Walesa ---
- Pros:Fabulous place for historic sightseeing, exciting exploring and affordable dining.
- Cons:Restaurants, cafes and pubs can be quite empty in low season.
- In a nutshell:Capital of the Tri-city at the Baltic Sea.
Don't forget to pick up a free map of the Tri-City at one of the Tourist Information Centres. It includes maps of... more travel advice
Wdzydze is a small village in the Kashubia region about 70 km west of Gdansk. It is home to the oldest Polish Outdoor... more travel advice
- See All Polish Money: Zloty
- Ticket inspections
- See All Explore Gdansk by bus
- Cafe Kamienica
- See All Tawerna Rybaki - Sopot
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Gdansk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Freedom, Solidarity and German heritage"
- "Gdansk - the great city."
- "Gdansk - Capital of the Tri-city"
- "Gdansk - German spirit port of Poland"
- "I LOVED GDANSK!"
- "Gdansk - A Phoenix Risen From the Ashes"
- "The Treasures of Gdansk"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gdansk
- Hotels in Gdansk
- Transportation in Gdansk
- Nightlife in Gdansk
- Restaurants in Gdansk
- Shopping in Gdansk
- Warnings and Dangers in Gdansk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gdansk
- 42 Reviews
- 117 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 51 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (75)
Have you been to Gdansk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gdansk
Photos in GdanskSee All Photos (117)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo Intro, 44 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 45 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 34 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 42 reviews, 117 photos