Lublin Off The Beaten Path Tips by HORSCHECK Top 5 Page for this destination
Lublin Off The Beaten Path: 21 reviews and 27 photos
New Jewish cemetery
The new Jewish cemetery (Nowy cmentarz zydowski) was established in 1829 at a time when the Jews constitued almost half of Lublin's inhabitants. During WWII the cemetery was completely destroyed by Nazis.
The cemetery has been renovated by a foundation of private people. The newly built memorial room at the entrance houses a small exhibition. Unfortunately both the cemetery and the memorial room were closed when we visited the place in the late afternoon.
The new Jewish cemetery can be found about 1,5 kilometres northeast of Lublin's old town, just next to the Catholic cemetery (Cmentarz Rzymskokatolicki).
Monument outside the Old Jewish cemetery
Lublin's old Jewish cemetery (Stary cmentarz zydowski) is the oldest known Jewish cemetery in Poland. It was in use between the 16th and 19th century, but unfortunately was destroyed several times; the last time in 1944 by the Nazis.
When we were there the completely walled cemetery was closed and my guidebook recommended to contact the caretaker to get in. As it was already late we decided to just have a look from the outside and wander around the place.
The old Jewish cemetery is located on a hill know as Grodzisko, which can be found at the corner of the streets ul. Kalinowszczyzna and ul. Sienna; about 20 minutes on foot northeast of Lublin's castle.
Houses of the Przybyla Brothers
On our second day in Lublin, we took a day trip by bus to picturesque Kazimierz Dolny, which is situated at the river Wisla about 60 km west of Lublin.
The little town is home to many historic sights, with the Market Square and its quaint tenement houses being the touristy heart of the city.
Other points of interest include the ruins of a fourteenth century castle with its watchtower, an impressive Parish Church and the late 16th century Reformed Franciscan Church.
For more info on how to get to Kazimierz Dolny from Lublin, please read my transportation tips.
More Reviews (30)
- See All New Town Hall
- See All Polish Money: Zloty
- See All Rough Guide to Poland
- See All Lublin by night
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Lublin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lublin - Poland's city of inspiration"
- "Lublin ~ Eastern Poland surprise"
- " Beauty Yet To Be Discovered"
- "Lublin - City of Polish History"
- "Majdanek Concentration Camp"
- "A Glimpse of Lublin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lublin
- Hotels in Lublin
- Transportation in Lublin
- Nightlife in Lublin
- Restaurants in Lublin
- Warnings and Dangers in Lublin
- See All...
Explore the World
- Perrysburg Hotels
- Kampong Salak Tinggi Hotels
- Mariveles Hotels
- Kinondo Hotels
- Comunidad Valenciana
- Paradise Island
- Ravinia Park
- Giardino Giusti
- Bogotá Off The Beaten Path
- Province of British Columbia Off The Beaten Path
- Zion National Park Off The Beaten Path
- Local Places
- Trier Off The Beaten Path
- Naxos Island Off The Beaten Path
- Marjan Hill
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Off The Beaten Path
- Denia Off The Beaten Path
- Antwerp-around Central Station
Badges & Stats in Lublin
- 33 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Lublin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lublin
Photos in LublinSee All Photos (87)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo Intro, 44 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 45 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 42 reviews, 117 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi Intro, 36 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue