"Poznan - Poland's trade fair city" Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan by HORSCHECK

Poznan Travel Guide: 344 reviews and 921 photos

After I had already explored Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk, Wroclaw and their surrounding regions in the last few years it was time to return to Poland for another gorgeous city.

Over Easter 2009 we visited Poznan for 6 days. With about 570.000 inhabitants it is Poland's fifth largest city and also one of the most important trade fair cities in Central Europe.

Like most bigger Polish towns also Poznan suffered serious damages during WWII, so most of the city centre was rebuilt after the war. This part of the town is dominated by the Old Market Square (Stary Rynek) with its colourful merchant houses and many other historic buildings. Another touristic highlight of Poznan is the Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul, which is Poland's oldest cathedral.

From Poznan we also took a sidetrip by train to Poland's first capital, Gniezno. It is situated about 50 km east of Poznan.

"I think some of the best modern writing comes now from travellers."
--- Michael Palin ---

• Pros:Wonderful churches and buildings; less touristy.
  • Cons:Many closed restaurants over Easter.
  • In a nutshell:Poland's trade fair city.
  • Last visit to Poznan: Apr 2009
  • Intro Updated Jul 14, 2012

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2014 at 2:29 AM

This looks beautiful. We lived and worked in Poland for half a year, but never made it here. It can go on my very long to do list. Love the pictures of the illuminated buildings at night. All the best, Irene

• EasyMalc's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Poznan is my next Polish city to visit hopefully. Some great tips as always Holger.

• ines2003's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Great pages and pics of excellent places you ve been to - wish I had more time and that it took less time to look at everyones pages

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Excellent updates here, beautiful pictures! Sounds like an incredible deal that you got for your parents!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Your B&B sounds good, so does the public transport. Adore the Town Hall lit up at night. I think you have covered everything here, a good,informative overview of Poznan!

• himalia11's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Oh yes, these triangles/circle at the toilets are so confusing! But after I once went to the wrong one I now know the differences!

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Nice page Holger. Was thinking about possibly breaking rail trip to Warsaw. But my schedule really doesn't allow for it.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Spent a night here a long while back. I missed so much I'll have to return. Happy Birthday Holger!

• stevemt's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2011 at 7:47 PM

This is a city I want to visit, thanks for the great information

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Good afternoon, Holger!, do you recommend me this city? Thanks

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Poznan