"Wroclaw - Beautiful capital of Lower Silesia" Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw by HORSCHECK

Wroclaw Travel Guide: 813 reviews and 2,158 photos

When the Hungarian budget airline Wizzair opened its route from Dortmund to Wroclaw I was probably among the first to book a flight to the fourth largest city in Poland. Wroclaw is well known under its old German name "Breslau" and very popular among German nostalgia tourists. It is situated on the river Odra and has about 640.000 inhabitants.

Unfortunately many parts of Wroclaw were destoyed during WWII, so some sights have been rebuilt after the war. Among them is the large medieval market square (Rynek). Other sights worth seeing include the Gothic St. Elisabeth Church, the island Ostrow Tumski which is the oldest part of the city and last but not least the Modernist People's Hall (Hala Ludowa)

One of the highlights of my time in Wroclaw was of course a VT meeting with local members where I learned a lot about Poland. We enjoyed a tasty dinner, some drinks in a local pub and interesting talks.

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.”
--- Robert Louis Stevenson ---

• Pros:Interesting architecture, many islands with nice bridges.
  • Cons:Many streets and buildings are under construction.
  • In a nutshell:Beautiful capital of Lower Silesia.
  • Last visit to Wroclaw: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 14, 2012

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2014 at 11:37 AM

I enjoyed reading your travel pages, as always! I have decided to spend a few days in Wroclaw during my upcoming trip. The Rynek looks especially interesting -- as do the Silesian dumplings. Cheers, Bill

• EasyMalc's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2012 at 3:58 AM

I'm seriously considering visiting Wroclaw in late October Holger. With a bit of luck most of the construction work would have finished by now. There's nothing worse than going somewhere and finding the place you've yearned to photograph is under scaffolding.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Wroclaw, here I go!

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2011 at 5:54 AM

Lovely page Holger (as always)! I am considering visiting Wroclaw from Paris on Wizzair when I'm there on business in late September as it seems like a nice manageable size (as I only have a couple of days) - would you recommend it? Regards Cathy

• Aug 25, 2010 at 4:47 AM

This is not true, most buildings here are art deco. 1930s.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Looks like an interesting place to visit, will have to see how far it is from krakow.

• Pinat's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2009 at 4:24 AM

Hi Holger! It's been almost two months since I joined VT but I forgot to tell you that I found VT website when I was googling for Wroclaw and clicked on your page. Thanks for connecting me:) Pinar from Ankara

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2009 at 3:47 AM

Fascinating to see the changes since I visited Wroclaw in 1971! A different world ... leyle

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2008 at 6:17 AM

Thanks Holger for the virtual tour I now know I would like Wroclaw very much :) Thanks for the interesting tips on this lovely city

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2008 at 4:32 AM

Wonderful Wroclaw tips, Holger - thanks for the info! :-) I'll be spending a few days there next month and I'll be sure to pick up a trusty "In Your Pocket" guide on arrival and head to Spiz Brewery for beer and bread! :-)

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Wroclaw

Have you been to Wroclaw?

Latest Activity in Wroclaw