Mdina Off The Beaten Path Tips by HORSCHECK Top 5 Page for this destination
Mdina Off The Beaten Path: 16 reviews and 51 photos
Misrah Ghar il-Kbir (Clapham Junction)
On our hike from the Dingli Cliffs to the bus stop towards Mdina we also took the chance to visit Misrah Ghar il-Kbir, which is better known as "Clapham Junction".
It is a prehistoric site with cart ruts which probably date back to about 2000 before Christ. The real origin of these ancient trackways is not really known.
The name Clapham Junction was given to the site by an Englishman, as the tracks reminded him on the London railway station of the same name.
Misrah Ghar il-Kbir (Clapham Junction) is situated somewhere between the St. Mary Magdalene Chapel (Dingli Cliffs) and the Buskett Gardens. The site is signposted, but still it needs some searching to find the site. The next bus stop towards Mdina is near the Verdala Palace on top of the Buskett Gardens.
We combined our daytrip to Mdina, with a visit of the famous Dingli Cliffs. They are the steepest cliff formation on Malta, reaching heights of up to 253 m from sea level. It is usually very windy in this area.
Before we started our hike along the cliffs, we took a drink in the Bar and Restaurant Bobbyland, which is the only restaurant along the cliff road.
Near the highest point of the cliffs the St. Mary Magdalene Chapel can be found. It was built in 1646
The Dingli Cliffs are located only about 20 Minutes by bus south of Mdina. Bus #81 serves the route between Mdina and the Dingli Cliffs at least every 20 Minutes. Please note that the route near the Cliffs is served in a circle, which means to get to the cliffs and to leave them is the bus in the same direction. A single ticket costs 0,47 Euro (November 2010).
Rabat - St. Paul's Church
The city of Rabat just borders with Mdina on its southern side, so the cities are usually visited together. The name Rabat is derived from the Semitic word for suburb.
One of the highlights of Rabat is the Baroque style St. Paul's Church, which dates back to the 17th century.
It stands above a grotto St. Paul is said to have taken refuge after his shipwreck on Malta.
Rabat's St. Paul's Church is located at the St. Paul's Square right in the centre of Rabat. It is only about 15 Minutes on foot from Mdina's Man Gate.
More Reviews (14)
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Mdina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Malta's former capital"
- "Mdina the Citta’ Notabile"
- "The Silent City"
- "Mdina - The silent city of Malta"
- "MDINA - Citta Notabile"
- "Mdina, Old Capital of Malta"
- "The not so Silent City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mdina
- Hotels in Mdina
- Transportation in Mdina
- Nightlife in Mdina
- Restaurants in Mdina
- Shopping in Mdina
- Warnings and Dangers in Mdina
- See All...
Explore the World
- Glacier National Park Hotels
- Cawag Hotels
- Northridge Hotels
- Ilha da Inhaca Hotels
- Austria Off The Beaten Path
- Chile Off The Beaten Path
- Sheridan Off The Beaten Path
- Tallinn Off The Beaten Path
- Burma Off The Beaten Path
- George Off The Beaten Path
- Alki Point
- Ivalo Off The Beaten Path
- Elizabeth City Off The Beaten Path
- Northern Areas
- Down on the Beach
- Provincia de Manabí Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Mdina
- 17 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Mdina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mdina
Photos in MdinaSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo Intro, 44 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 45 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 42 reviews, 117 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi Intro, 36 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (125)
Latest Mdina hotel reviews
- The Xara Palace
- 122 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013