"Marsaxlokk - Home of the colourful luzzu boats" Top 5 Page for this destination Marsaxlokk by HORSCHECK

Marsaxlokk Travel Guide: 135 reviews and 379 photos

We visited Marsaxlokk, during a day trip from Valletta, which was our home base in Malta for one week in November 2010.

We actually went by bus to Marsaskala, from where we hiked along the beautful coastline to Marsaxlokk. After a few hours in the village we continued our hike to the neighbouring town of Birzebbugia.

The fishing village of Marsaxlokk is situated in the southeast of Malta. It is home to about 3300 people and it is famous for the traditional luzzu boats, which are colourful fishing boats.

Marsaxlokk can also be reached within about 30 minutes by bus from Valletta. The region around the village is popular for hiking.

"Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend."
--- Zenna Schaffer ---

• Pros:Colourful luzzu boats; lovely coastline.
  • Cons:Probably overcrowded in high-season.
  • In a nutshell:Marsaxlokk - Home of the colourful luzzu boats.
  • Last visit to Marsaxlokk: Nov 2010
  • Intro Updated Oct 19, 2011

• Oleg_D.'s Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I hope to visit that place on one day! Thank you!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2014 at 5:01 AM

Nice page Holger! I love the brightly coloured boats - Your photos of them are great!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2013 at 10:09 AM

There certainly is a lot of old history for this well famed place and the religiousity is steeped to even current day times. Your tips are very good

• mickeyboy07's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2013 at 5:00 AM

we have just got back from ten days in Malta,really loved it fabulous place lots to see and friendly locals,im currently writing lots of reviews on the island,i like your reviews,well done

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Nice page with familiar typical maltese symbols that remind me of my good time in Gozo. Good review about Kinnie but no comment about the taste of the local Cisk ;-)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Looks a lovely little town, and Birzzebugia perhaps even more so. Loved the coastal scenery too! Your photo of the eye on the boat is so striking, and the cats all wonderful, but especially the shot of the one with the old chains :-)

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2011 at 7:02 AM

Malta is on our list that seems to get longer rather than shorter! Love the colours captured if your photos - in November too!

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Marsaxlokk is definitely a nice little place. We stopped off there on a tour of the south of the island. For the record, I could not drink the Kinnie I ordered. To me it tastes metallic and far too bitter!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2011 at 9:05 AM

I'm going to re visit Marsaxlokk too. Ciao!

• Xemx's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Very informative page, Holger, lovely cat photos too, the cats appear to be well looked after :-)

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Marsaxlokk

Have you been to Marsaxlokk?