"Ohrid - City of centuries" Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid by HORSCHECK

Ohrid Travel Guide: 900 reviews and 2,925 photos

When the idea of holding the "7th official VT Euromeet" in Ohrid and Bitola in May 2011 came up, it was clear to us to combine the meeting with a trip through Albania, Macedonia and even Kosovo. On this trip we spent 4 nights in Ohrid, 2 before the meeting and 2 during the meeting.

Ohrid is located at the eastern shore of the Lake Ohrid, which is surrounded by mountains of more than 2000 m in height. The town has about 42.000 inhabitants, but especially in summer it is also packed with tourists.

Ohrid offers a large amount of sights from different centuries. From the fortress on the top of the town panoramic views of the city, the lake and the surrounding region can be enjoyed. Many Orthodox churches as well as mosques from Ottoman times can be visited all around the town.

Due to its touristic popularity, the town offers a wide range of cafes, pubs and restaurants of many different cuisines and styles.

"The road twisted, and suddenly a panoramic water horizon opened in front of it, sparkling and changing numerous colours."
--- A. den Doolaard ---

• Pros:Wide range of sights from different centuries. Relaxed atmosphere at the lake.
  • Cons:No proper Tourist Information Office. Location of the bus station too far from the city centre.
  • In a nutshell:Ohrid - City of centuries.
  • Last visit to Ohrid: May 2011
  • Intro Updated Jun 20, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Excellent page Holger! I love all the churches and monasteries you saw, very different to elsewhere in the world!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2012 at 1:30 AM

This will probably be my next holiday destintion.

Ciao!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Ohrid seems to be an interesting destination to visit and explore with lots of lovely monasteries, churches, mosques and statues. Thanks for your wonderful virtual tour with great photos. Hope to visit the city one day. Thanks also for visiting our Czech Republic and Greece travel pages. ~ho & pang

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Excellent page, Holger! Thanks for all the tips and photos!
    I'm looking forward to seeing all the sights and relaxing with a nice Skopsko beer and some burek.
    There aren't many English language guidebooks for Macedonia; we've purchased a Bradt guide which seemed to be the only one available. It's a shame there's no "In Your Pocket" guide!

• zadunajska8's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Looks like a great place and I hope I get to go one day. The pictures of Ohrid at dusk a particular favourite for me.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I wish I could have joined you VTers both in Serbia and Macedonia. I like the small old churches and the hotels look very good.

• pure1942's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2011 at 5:27 AM

Wonderful page Holger...seems like Ohrid has become a bit of a mecca for VT members! Hope to get there soon...How did you get from Tirana to Struga? The most economical way for me to get to Ohrid seems to be through Tirana just as you did. THanks
    Brian

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Interesting tidbit about why the Dutch travel to Ohrid! You saw a lot more of Ohrid than we did :-)

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Well deserved Top 5 Holger but I have to disagree about the beer - I preferred the Dab - HIC ;-)

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2011 at 12:37 PM

A very interesting page about a wonderful destination: the lake, beautiful views, old churches and lots of history... I hope to go there one day.

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Ohrid