"Luxembourg - Capital of the Grand Duchy" Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg by HORSCHECK

Luxembourg Travel Guide: 609 reviews and 1,509 photos

We spent Easter 2007 in Luxembourg City and used it as a base to not only explore the capital city itself, but also some gems of the Grand Duchy.

Luxembourg City is situated high above the Alzette and Petrusse river valleys, which are situated about 60 metres lower than the rest of the town. Some 90.000 people live in Luxembourg City, more than a third of these are foreigners.

Most of the sights are concentrated within the old town. Among them are the Gothic Cathedral Notre Dame, the Grand Ducal Palace, the Gelle Fra War Memorial and the Bock Casemates.

Side trips led us to Echternach, La Rochette, Vianden and Berdorf. The latter is well known for hikes through Luxembourg’s so called “Little Switzerland“.

"The power of imagination makes us infinite."
--- John Muir ---

• Pros:Impressive river valleys and panoramic views from cliff tops.
  • Cons:High parking fees in the city centre.
  • In a nutshell:Capital of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.
  • Last visit to Luxembourg: Apr 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 12, 2012

• Airpunk's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Excellent page - thanks for sharing your Luxembourg tips!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Great page

• iaint's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Thanks for the comment on my Trier page. Turned out to be a good place to go.

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Hi Holger, a fabulous page with very good and useful tips! I have been to Luxembourg many years ago with my dad, but the only thing I remember of the city is the palace.
    Great to see that there are so many possibilities for day trips - this small country has much more to offer than one thinks!

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Cannot believe I had not seen this page yet. Great info and pictures here! Looks like a very interesting old city. The tram museum is also fun I guess.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Great photos of a wonderful city!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Very interesting page. I wonder why fuel is cheaper in that country?

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Hi Holger, nice Lux page. I am in the initial stages of planning a beerfest trip to Stuttgart, then a few new places, happy travels, Karl

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2010 at 7:08 AM

Holger, you are a tireless world traveller! Great place - splendid page! Thanx!

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Thanks for visiting my Lublin pages. I will be keeping an eye open for any new Polish tips you write and its over 40 years since I visited Luxembourg, I must be due another visit. Alan

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Luxembourg

Have you been to Luxembourg?

Latest Activity in Luxembourg