"Klaipeda – Gateway to the Curonian Spit (Neringa)" Top 5 Page for this destination Klaipeda by HORSCHECK
Klaipeda Travel Guide: 262 reviews and 626 photos
Klaipeda was the third stop on our trip through Lithuania in summer 2006. Before WWI Klaipeda was a German city named Memel, therefore it is nowadays much frequented by German nostalgia tourists. It is situated on the Baltic Sea near the narrow outlet of the Curonian lagoon.
The ferries to the popular small villages on the Curonian Spit leave from Klaipeda’s port which is the only commercial port in Lithuania. Another popular daytrip destination from Klaipeda is the bustling beach resort Palanga.
Klaipeda has a small old town with narrow straight streets and many half-timbered (Fachwerk) houses, but no churches as they were all destroyed during WWII. The river Dane divides the old town from the much bigger new town which dates back to the 19th century.
"Then come the wild weather, come sleet or come snow, we will stand by each other, however it blow."
--- Simon Dach ---
- Pros:Quaint little old town and good location for daytrips along the Baltic Sea.
- Cons:It can be difficult to find affordable accommodation in summer when not booking in advance.
- In a nutshell:Gateway to the Curonian Spit (Neringa).
When thinking about famous people from Klaipeda the German poet Simon Dach (1605-1659) probably springs to one's mind at... more travel advice
Klaipeda is home to Lithuania's oldest brewery: Svyturys. It was established in 1784 and produces various sorts of beer... more travel advice
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Klaipeda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Klaipeda - my town"
- "Klaipeda – Gateway to the Curonian Spit (Neringa)"
- "a postoffice that looks like a palace"
- "Klaipeda - the main port of Lithuania"
- "Klaipeda - gate to the Baltic sea"
- "More than just a gateway to the Curonian spit"
- "Klaipeda - my homecity"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Klaipeda
- Hotels in Klaipeda
- Transportation in Klaipeda
- Nightlife in Klaipeda
- Restaurants in Klaipeda
- Shopping in Klaipeda
- Warnings and Dangers in Klaipeda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Klaipeda
- 25 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (74)
Have you been to Klaipeda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Klaipeda
Photos in KlaipedaSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yerevan Intro, 42 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo Intro, 44 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 45 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 34 reviews, 130 photos