"Nida - Sand dunes and pine forests" Top 5 Page for this destination Nida by HORSCHECK

Nida Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 258 photos

Nida on the Curonian Spit (Kursiu Nerija) was the 2nd stop on our trip through Lithuania in August 2006. It is situated in the proximity of the border to Russia, just in the middle of the 98 km long spit.

The main reason why most travelers come to Nida is its beautiful setting within various dramatic sand dunes, with the 52 m tall Parnidis Dune being the most famous of them. From the top of the dunes scenic views of the Curonian Lagoon and the Baltic Sea can be enjoyed.

The city itself is a mixture of a quiet fishing village and a busy tourist resort. Among the sights are many handsome fishermen's cottages, the Thomas Mann House, a Parish Church with adjacent cemetery and a few little museums.

"I walk in the sand and I can see the wind burying my footprints as I turn back. Sand is following me. Man, don't forget that call from the deep of sand."
--- Rev. D. F. Zudnochovius ---

• Pros:Impressive sand dunes and picturesque cottages.
  • Cons:Not too much to do on a rainy day.
  • In a nutshell:Walk, relax and enjoy.
  • Last visit to Nida: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 23, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Thanks for the tour of Nida! I have never heard of it, and will not be able to see it for myself, so its been fascinating reading. I love the colourful houses with the thatched roves, the weather vanes, sundial and more. Looks like quite a nice place for a holiday!

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Quite nice village to spend some time in. Had no idea Thomas Mann spent three summers there and even owned a house in Nida! Wow, a *must* for me then. HA - Caotina in Lithuania :-)

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Thanks for visiting my Vilnius page, Holger! Hopefully I'll get around to updating and expanding it after our forthcoming trip! Nida looks nice - especially the sand dunes. Although I won't get chance to visit this time around, I'll keep it in mind for a future visit to Lithuania. I've searched high and low for your Belarus pages...but no sign of them! *grin* Let me know when they're up and I'll drop by for a look! :-) Cheers, Jonathan.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2011 at 3:59 AM

Another intriguing page of yours Holger. You do manage to see some lovely places. I like the very cool weather vanes.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2009 at 8:09 PM

The highest sand dunes in Europe! This would be most interesting to visit... and I'll jump on them too, hehehe...Normnan :)

• om_212's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2008 at 11:57 AM

nice page, Holger. I am thinking about visiting Curonian Spit, and if I am lucky, get a Lithuanian visa, I can actially cross the Russian border, since Russia is one of the countries Ukrainians DON'T need a visa :)

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Nice page Holger, little bit spooky, Old russian check points..graves. have a nice sunday

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2007 at 1:58 PM

an interesting page and great pics, Holger ! I love those light-towers !

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2007 at 3:02 AM

Auch auf die Gefahr hin, dass ich mich durch meine Ratings bei deiner Seite selbst aus den Top-5-Members für Nida rauskegele: Ganz toll gemacht! Supertips und noch viel Neues für mich dabei, obwohl ich nun schon zum 2. Mal in Nida war.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2007 at 1:52 PM

Another excellent page Holger. I'd never heard of this place but it looks lovely - and of course I can rely on you to recommend the best beer ;) The weather vanes fascinated me - really interesting designs

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Nida