Vilnius Transportation Tips by HORSCHECK Top 5 Page for this destination
Vilnius Transportation: 113 reviews and 107 photos
Vilnius airport (Oro uostas)
In 2006 I flew to Vilnius with Air Baltic from Dusseldorf (D), whereas in 2011 I flew with Wizzair from Dortmund (D) to Vilnius.
Vilnius International Airport (Oro uostas) is situated only 7 km south of the city centre. The departure lounge has only two gates, but a new terminal will be finished in 2007.
Two bus lines serve Vilnius Airport: Bus no. 1 goes to the railway station and bus no. 2 serves a route through the city centre to the outskirts. Tickets can be bought from kiosks or directly from the driver.
Since October 2008 the airport is even connected to the Lithuanian railway network. The airport train station is located in close vicinity to the terminal building. Trains to the main train station go every 40 minutes.
Vilnius to Kaunas train in Vilnius
On our first day in August 2006 we left Vilnius by regional train to Kaunas. This route is served more than 10 times per day. The trip took about 1,5 hours and cost 10,40 Litas (about 3,10 Euro; 2006).
Other domestic trains go to Klaipeda (7 h), Siauliai (4,5 h) and Trakai (40 mins). International services include Minsk (BY), Warsaw (PL), St. Petersburg and Moscow (RUS).
Vilnius' train station (Gelezinkelio Stotis) is located south of the Old Town, just next to the bus station.
The public transport network of Vilnius consists of buses, trolleybuses and minibuses (Marshrutki). They operate from 05:00 a.m until about 23:30 h.
Tickets for buses and trolleybuses can be purchased at kiosks (Lietuvos Spauda) for 1,10 Litas or directly from the driver for 1,40 Litas (Prices from 2006). You have to stamp your ticket when boarding the bus and it is valid for one journey no matter the distance.
Minibuses have their own fare system. Tickets can vary from 2 to 3 Litas and can only be bought from the driver.
Vilnius to Minsk (BY) bus in Vilnius
In 2006, after exploring Lithuania for about 10 days we returned to Vilnius from Panevezys by bus. The trip took about 3,5 h and was 22,50 Litas (about 6,80 Euro; 2006).
In 2011 we left Vilnius by bus to Minsk in Belarus. We bought our ticket for about 13 Euro one day before the departure. We returned from Belarus to Vilnius from Grodno (BY) via Druskininkai.
Vilnius' bus station (Autobusu Stotis) is served by several bus companies from almost all bigger cities in Lithuania. International services are available from many European countries including Poland, Latvia, Germany and Belarus.
The bus station is conveniently located just next to the train station, only 10 minutes on foot south of the old town.
Vilniaus Autobusu Stotis:
Grand Duke Gediminias
Although Vilnius with its 580.000 inhabitants is a big city, its compact city centre where most sights are located is best explored on foot.
The old town has many pedestrianised streets or pathways which are not accessible to cars or public transportation.
Exploring these parts of the town on foot offers the chance to have a look at the smaller sidestreets with their architectural details.
More Reviews (56)
- See All Cili Pica
- See All Vilnius by night
- See All Orthodox Church of St. Michael and St....
- See All Grutas Park
- Visa to Belarus
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Vilnius Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Very friendly, very historical and inexpensive :-)"
- "Vilnius - City of Churches"
- "Vilnius - mix of cultures"
- "The Wonderful Vilnius"
- "Vilnius - my grandparents' love"
- "THREE CAPITALS IN FIVE DAYS"
- "Vilnius in the springtime"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vilnius
- Hotels in Vilnius
- Transportation in Vilnius
- Nightlife in Vilnius
- Restaurants in Vilnius
- Shopping in Vilnius
- Warnings and Dangers in Vilnius
- See All...
Explore the World
- Clapham Hotels
- Aegina Island
- Dolores Hotels
- Coral Gables Hotels
- Cochem Hotels
Badges & Stats in Vilnius
- 61 Reviews
- 175 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 47 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Vilnius?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vilnius
Photos in VilniusSee All Photos (175)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo Intro, 44 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 45 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 42 reviews, 117 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi Intro, 36 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (126)
Latest Vilnius hotel reviews
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Hotel Tilto
- 138 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Vilnius Old Town Hostel
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 18, 2012
- Hotel Sarunas
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Neringa Hotel
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 23, 2013
- Paupio Namai
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2012
- Best Eastern City Gate
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 15, 2013
- Filaretai Youth Hostel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 31, 2013
- Vila Valakampiai
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2012
- Ramada Vilnius
- 144 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Litinterp Bed and Breakfast
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 2, 2013
- Best Eastern Centro Kubas
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- Radisson SAS Astorija Hotel Vilnius
- 151 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Gediminas castle- 62 Reviews, 111 Photos
- Cathedral- 66 Reviews, 124 Photos
- Gates of Dawn- 38 Reviews, 62 Photos
- Church of St Ann- 39 Reviews, 67 Photos
- Uzupis district- 27 Reviews, 60 Photos
- TV tower- 18 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Gedimino avenue- 13 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Hill of Three Crosses- 20 Reviews, 32 Photos
- Church of St. Francis and Bernardine- 24 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Church of Sts Peter and Paul- 18 Reviews, 41 Photos
See All Vilnius Things to Do