"Vilnius - City of Churches" Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius by HORSCHECK
Vilnius Travel Guide: 1,757 reviews and 3,615 photos
I already had the idea of visiting Vilnius on my first trip through the Baltics in July 2002, but cancelled the Lithuania part as I was busy enough with Estonia and Latvia at that time. In August 2006 I eventually made my way to Lithuania for the first time.
In August 2011 I returned to Vilnius for my second visit of the city. This time Vilnius was both the starting and ending point of a fabulous trip to Belarus.
Vilnius has a population of about 580.000 people and is situated at the Neris river. To give you a good idea of the town I found these two facts interesting: The old town is said to be Eastern Europe's biggest old town, also Vilnius is the largest Baroque city north of the Alps.
The town is home to innumerable churches of all kind of religious and architectural styles. But Vilnius doesn't only offer churches but also other fascinating sights. Among them are the bohemian and alternative district of Uzupis and the impressive Museum of Genocide Victims.
"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars."
--- Charles A. Beard ---
- Pros:Numerous churches of various denominations.
- Cons:Too many scaffoldings.
- In a nutshell:The capital of Lithuania - city of churches.
Cili Pica is a popular Lithuanian chain of pizza places. The first one was opened in Vilnius in 1997 and nowadays you... more travel advice
The Orthodox Church of St. Michael and St. Constantine (Sv. Konstantino ir Michailo Cerkve) belongs to the Russain... more travel advice
- See All Grutas Park
- Visa to Belarus
- See All Hotel Gile
- See All Explore Vilnius on foot
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Vilnius Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Very friendly, very historical and inexpensive :-)"
- "Vilnius - City of Churches"
- "Vilnius - mix of cultures"
- "The Wonderful Vilnius"
- "Vilnius - my grandparents' love"
- "One of my Favourite Cities"
- "THREE CAPITALS IN FIVE DAYS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vilnius
- Hotels in Vilnius
- Transportation in Vilnius
- Nightlife in Vilnius
- Restaurants in Vilnius
- Shopping in Vilnius
- Warnings and Dangers in Vilnius
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vilnius
- 61 Reviews
- 175 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 51 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Vilnius?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vilnius
Photos in VilniusSee All Photos (175)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 190 photos
- London Intro, 65 reviews, 177 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baku Intro, 43 reviews, 170 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yerevan Intro, 42 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Prague Intro, 49 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue