"Vilnius - City of Churches" Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius by HORSCHECK

Vilnius Travel Guide: 1,745 reviews and 3,598 photos

I already had the idea of visiting Vilnius on my first trip through the Baltics in July 2002, but cancelled the Lithuania part as I was busy enough with Estonia and Latvia at that time. In August 2006 I eventually made my way to Lithuania for the first time.

In August 2011 I returned to Vilnius for my second visit of the city. This time Vilnius was both the starting and ending point of a fabulous trip to Belarus.

Vilnius has a population of about 580.000 people and is situated at the Neris river. To give you a good idea of the town I found these two facts interesting: The old town is said to be Eastern Europe's biggest old town, also Vilnius is the largest Baroque city north of the Alps.

The town is home to innumerable churches of all kind of religious and architectural styles. But Vilnius doesn't only offer churches but also other fascinating sights. Among them are the bohemian and alternative district of Uzupis and the impressive Museum of Genocide Victims.

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars."
--- Charles A. Beard ---

• Pros:Numerous churches of various denominations.
  • Cons:Too many scaffoldings.
  • In a nutshell:The capital of Lithuania - city of churches.
  • Last visit to Vilnius: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated Sep 20, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Holger, I will have to return and finish this fabulous page. So far, I like Vilinuis, especially all the different kinds of Churches. I've finished this excellent page now! I think you have covered every department in Vilnuis. Very helpful to anyone travelling there.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Great tips!

• suvanki's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Very interesting page with useful tips! Thanks for sharing Holger.
    One of the places that We're considering for our forthcoming break!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2012 at 3:02 PM

An excellent page and photos - so many churches, how lovely :) Thanks for the virtual tour,

• ValbyDK's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I am planning a trip to Vilnius this Easter. Very useful info, thanks.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2011 at 7:05 AM

EXCELLENT page, Holger! Boy, so many churches....! The museum sounds really interesting! And you haven't tried the Stebuklas??? Oh, c'mon!!! - Update: revisited and rated some of your tips again!!!! They come in very handy now!

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Hi Holger, great page about Vilnius. And I can now see why it is called "City of Churches" :-) The illuminated buildings look very beautiful. Nice to see that there is a vegetarian restaurant as well :-) And that public transport is so good!
    I shared a flat with an exchange student from Vilnius in 2008 and she showed me many pictures of the city on her laptop - I think she was quite homesick.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Great updates since my first reading in July of 2007! I haven't been to Vilnius since 1968. I think it has changed very much. But the Gedeminas Tower is still the same. St Anne's Church and other churches are beautiful. 151 Euro for the visa to Belarus seem to be rather expensive... Thank you Holger for this fundamental VT-job!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Hi Holger, I’m glad to see you have added lots of updates and new tips to this page. I like the looks of that restaurant with the riverside terrace. And I’m glad to see they still have trolleybuses.

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Great updates! I hope you enjoyed Vilnius and already it was more or less renovated ;) I am always happy to show you around ;)

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Vilnius

Have you been to Vilnius?

Latest Activity in Vilnius