Riga Things to Do Tips by HORSCHECK
Riga Things to Do: 797 reviews and 1,699 photos
House of Blackheads
The House of Blackheads is a Gothic building from 1344. Blackheads was a guild of unmarried merchants, existing in several Baltic medieval towns. The building was renovated for Riga's 800th anniversairy in 2001.
Directions: The House of Blackheads is located at the Town Square (Ratslaukums Square) in the Old Town. The square is located east of the Akmens Bridge.
Latvian National Opera
The magnificient building of the Latvian National Opera (Latvijas Nacionala Opera) was completed in 1863 and first housed Riga's German Theatre. In 1919 it became home to the Latvian National Opera. The auditorium has a capacity of 967 seats.
Directions: The Latvian National Opera is located at 3 Aspazijas bulvaris in the Bastion Hill Park.
The Convent's Yard (Konveta Seta) is an ensemble of about 9 medieval buildings in the quaint Old Town of Riga (Vecriga). The houses were built between the 14th and 16th centuries and are among the oldest parts of the city. Nowadays the area houses a 3-starred hotel.
Directions: The Convent's Yard in situated in the heart of Riga's Old Town (Vecriga) just north of St. Peters Church.
Riga Castle was built in 1330 as the headquarter of the Livonian Order. After several modifications it became the residence of the latvian president. Nowadays parts of the castle house two museums.
Directions: Riga Castle is situated on the banks of the river Daugava at Pils laukums.
Academy of Sciences
Unfortunately, many guide books don't mention this monumental building from the Stalin era, even though it dominates the skyline of Riga. It is an evidence of the years under Russian occupation and was built between 1953 and 1956. The Academy of Sciences (Latvijas Zinatnu Akedemija) is nicknamed "Stalin's Birthday Cake".
Directions: The 108 m high Academy of Sciences is located behind the Central Market and can't be missed.
Bastion Hill Park
Take a stroll around the Bastion Hill Park (Bastejkalns). The Hill Park was created in the mid-19th century removing the medieval fortifications of the Old Town.
It includes a nice city canal and 5 memorial stones for people who were killed by Soviet bullets during the January 1991 disturbances.
Directions: The Bastion Hill Park is located east of the Old Town and separates old Riga from the new areas of the town.
View from St. Peters Church
Take the lift up the tower of St. Peters Church.
From the observation platform of the gothic St. Peters Church you can enjoy a wonderful view of Rigas Old Town and the river Daugava (see photo).
Directions: St. Peters Church is the dominant building in the southern half of Rigas Old Town. It is located at 19 Skarnu iela.
Other Contact: Check also my Tourist Trap tip!
The Freedom Monument was constructed in 1935. The woman at the top (nicknamed Milda) holds up three golden stars, representing the three Latvian regions: Kurzeme, Vidzeme and Latgale.
The guard of honour stands at the monument from 9:00 until 20:00 and is hourly changed.
Directions: The Freedom monument is located at Brivibas iela near the Bastion Hill Park.
The Three Brothers
Visit the oldest dwelling houses of Riga - The Three Brothers.
The Three Brothers represent different stages in the architectual development of Riga. The oldest brother (No. 17) was built at the end of the 15th century. No. 19 houses the Latvian Museum of Architecture.
Directions: The Three Brothers are located at Maza Pils iela 17, 19 and 21 in the Old Town of Riga.
More Reviews (17)
- Latvian Lats and Money Exchange
- See All New Riga
- See All Tourist prices in the Old Town
- See All Lonely Planet Guide
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Riga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A few days in Riga"
- "Riga - biggest town in Baltic States"
- "A liveable city"
- "Riga - the capital of Latvia"
- "Riga Latvia"
- "ART NOUVEAU RIGA!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riga
- Hotels in Riga
- Transportation in Riga
- Nightlife in Riga
- Restaurants in Riga
- Shopping in Riga
- Warnings and Dangers in Riga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Riga
- 26 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 73 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Riga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riga
Photos in RigaSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baku Intro, 43 reviews, 170 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yerevan Intro, 42 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo Intro, 44 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 45 reviews, 124 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (133)
- St Peters Church- 54 Reviews, 128 Photos
- Central Market- 27 Reviews, 74 Photos
- Old Town- 54 Reviews, 132 Photos
- Freedom Monument- 52 Reviews, 116 Photos
- House of Blackheads- 42 Reviews, 88 Photos
- Art Nouveau Buildings- 33 Reviews, 90 Photos
- Daugava River- 23 Reviews, 47 Photos
- Academy of Sciences- 18 Reviews, 41 Photos
- Museum of the Occupation of Latvia- 29 Reviews, 58 Photos
- Powder Tower- 26 Reviews, 41 Photos
See All Riga Things to Do