"Sofia - Capital at the foot of Mount Vitosha" Top 5 Page for this destination Sofia by HORSCHECK

Sofia Travel Guide: 1,474 reviews and 3,634 photos

Istanbul – One city, two continents, many mosques

In September 2009 we started our 2 weeks trip through Bulgaria, Serbia and Romania in the Bulgarian capital Sofia, which is located at the foot of the mountain range Vitosha (2290 m). We reached Sofia by plane from Germany and left it by train to Nis in Serbia.

With about 1,4 million inhabitants it is the country's largest city. The main landmark is the massive Bulgarian-Orthodox Alexander Nevsky Cathedral. Among other architecturally interesting buildings are the Ivan Vazov National Theatre, the Church of St. George, the Russian Church St. Nicolas, the Banya Bashi Mosque and the Central Baths.

Also well worth seeing are several sights from Communist times, like the Former Communist Party building and the Soviet Army Monument.

A highlight of our time in Sofia was of course a VT meeting with a few local VT members and a VT member from Spain. So thanks a lot to ChristinaNest for organising everything.

“Man is only really man where he plays."
--- Friedrich Schiller ---

• Pros:Fabulous mixture of architecture from Socialist Realism to Viennese Secession.
  • Cons:No proper Tourist Information Office.
  • In a nutshell:Sofia - Bulgaria's capital at the foot of the mountain range Vitosha.
  • Last visit to Sofia: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Apr 6, 2013

• Odiseya's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2014 at 2:38 PM

I enjoy in your virtual tour! I find very useful your page in preparing my first Sofia trip. Thank you!

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2014 at 4:30 AM

I enjoyed Sofia, but i think it was back in '89 when there were still hardships. 3days in the capital at the expense of Balkan Airlines due to some problem with the planes. 2 levs a beer!!!

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I'm still not convinced of Sofia's charms though Holger. Good you found the cheap eats at the Market Hall, not many visitors are bold enough.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Holger, This is an excellent page on Bulgaria, one I have really enjoyed reading!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2012 at 2:42 PM

An excellent page, now I know why it is called Sofia, didn´t know that. Yes, indeed it is good to know the Cyrillic alphabet, I learnt that in Serbia.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2012 at 12:49 AM

lovely main pic of the theatre here! it was very hard to read the signs, that's true but we didnt get lost anywhere :)

• traveloturc's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Thanks a lot for the useful information about Sofia))))

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Like your photos of trains and trams.And the hostel looks quite stylish for less than 20 dollars a day!

• ZiOOlek's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2011 at 1:08 AM

I would finally visit Sofia this year but still not planned. However, aftern my visit to Russia few years ago I decided to learn how to read cyrilics.:)

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2011 at 5:14 AM

Great page with very good tips! The cathedral looks so beautiful, and I would definitely try out your accomodation when going there. Thanks! :-)

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Sofia