"Sofia - Capital at the foot of Mount Vitosha" Top 5 Page for this destination Sofia by HORSCHECK
Sofia Travel Guide: 1,490 reviews and 3,664 photos
In September 2009 we started our 2 weeks trip through Bulgaria, Serbia and Romania in the Bulgarian capital Sofia, which is located at the foot of the mountain range Vitosha (2290 m). We reached Sofia by plane from Germany and left it by train to Nis in Serbia.
With about 1,4 million inhabitants it is the country's largest city. The main landmark is the massive Bulgarian-Orthodox Alexander Nevsky Cathedral. Among other architecturally interesting buildings are the Ivan Vazov National Theatre, the Church of St. George, the Russian Church St. Nicolas, the Banya Bashi Mosque and the Central Baths.
Also well worth seeing are several sights from Communist times, like the Former Communist Party building and the Soviet Army Monument.
A highlight of our time in Sofia was of course a VT meeting with a few local VT members and a VT member from Spain. So thanks a lot to ChristinaNest for organising everything.
“Man is only really man where he plays."
--- Friedrich Schiller ---
- Pros:Fabulous mixture of architecture from Socialist Realism to Viennese Secession.
- Cons:No proper Tourist Information Office.
- In a nutshell:Sofia - Bulgaria's capital at the foot of the mountain range Vitosha.
Although Sofia with its more than 1,4 Million inhabitans is the biggest city in Bulgaria, the city centre is still very... more travel advice
The Bulgarian language belongs to the Slavic linguistic group and is written in the Cyrillic alphabet. So if you can't... more travel advice
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Sofia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sofia Guide - One of the Oldest Cities in Europe"
- "My home town"
- "First Steps to Explaning Bulgarian Spirit"
- "Sofia - Capital at the foot of Mount Vitosha"
- "capital of Bulgaria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sofia
- Hotels in Sofia
- Transportation in Sofia
- Nightlife in Sofia
- Restaurants in Sofia
- Shopping in Sofia
- Warnings and Dangers in Sofia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sofia
- 29 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 40 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Sofia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sofia
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Website links open in the..."
- Commented on one of Ben-UK's Sofia travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Russian Church of St. Nicolas"
- updated a Sofia Travel Page "Sofia - Capital at the foot of Mount Vitosha"
- Wrote a Review Explore Sofia on foot in Sofia Transportation
Photos in SofiaSee All Photos (80)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baku Intro, 43 reviews, 170 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yerevan Intro, 42 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo Intro, 44 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 45 reviews, 124 photos