"Mostar - A bridge between east and west" Top 5 Page for this destination Mostar by HORSCHECK

Mostar Travel Guide: 636 reviews and 1,701 photos

In September 2008 we explored Bosnia and Herzegovina as well as Southern Croatia. After a few days in Sarajevo, we headed off to Mostar for a couple of nights.

Mostar is a multicultural city, which is home to people of different ethnic origins. The city was severely affected by the war in the early 1990's. Many damaged buildings are still very visible, even in the city centre.

I was quite surprised about the amount of tourists, who wandered around the old town of Mostar during the day. Luckily, most of them were only visiting the city on day trips from the Croatian cost. So in the evening when the Old Bridge was beautifully illuminated it got much quieter.

It is probably possible to see most of the main sights in just one day. As we stayed for two nights we took the chance to explore the city more extensively. In addition we even went on a sidetrip to Blagaj where the source of the river Buna can be visited.

"We make war that we may live in peace."
--- Aristotle ---

• Pros:Amazing mix of architecture and cultures.
  • Cons:It can get very hot in summer. Too many day trip tourists during the day.
  • In a nutshell:A bridge between east and west.
  • Last visit to Mostar: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Sep 14, 2011

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I didn't know there are lots of day trippers visiting from the coast, but I guess as Mostar is an interesting place to see it makes sense.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2013 at 5:55 AM

Some lovely bridges here. And I see you enjoyed some local beer also.

• Airpunk's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Great tips about Mostar, Holger! I have been there recently as well, but only for a day trip...

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Great page. I love the way you always write about the local beer. Sort of thing my hubbie always wants to know. Irene

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Great tips Holger

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Lovely page Holger! I was reading it and thinking you saw heaps more than most people, then saw you stayed here, a good idea. I love both of those bridges, and the paintings of them were lovely, would probably buy one of them if there!

• al2401's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2012 at 5:47 AM

Mostar - hogh on my list of places to visit, Thanks, Al

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Excellent page that reminds me of my (too short) visit to Mostar. I must schedule another visit and will use your hotel tip (and others!)

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Good rips here. Like the idea of a trip to Blagaj & train to Ploce :-)

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Enjoyed your page Holger. Your photos are excellent, particularly Buna & Dervish Monastery. When in Dubrovnik in 2005 I regret we did not make the day trip to Mostar.

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Mostar