"Mostar - A bridge between east and west" Top 5 Page for this destination Mostar by HORSCHECK

Mostar Travel Guide: 705 reviews and 1,949 photos

In September 2008 we explored Bosnia and Herzegovina as well as Southern Croatia. After a few days in Sarajevo, we headed off to Mostar for a couple of nights.

Mostar is a multicultural city, which is home to people of different ethnic origins. The city was severely affected by the war in the early 1990's. Many damaged buildings are still very visible, even in the city centre.

I was quite surprised about the amount of tourists, who wandered around the old town of Mostar during the day. Luckily, most of them were only visiting the city on day trips from the Croatian cost. So in the evening when the Old Bridge was beautifully illuminated it got much quieter.

It is probably possible to see most of the main sights in just one day. As we stayed for two nights we took the chance to explore the city more extensively. In addition we even went on a sidetrip to Blagaj where the source of the river Buna can be visited.

"We make war that we may live in peace."
--- Aristotle ---

• Pros:Amazing mix of architecture and cultures.
  • Cons:It can get very hot in summer. Too many day trip tourists during the day.
  • In a nutshell:A bridge between east and west.
  • Last visit to Mostar: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Sep 14, 2011

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2015 at 1:41 AM

Very good tips Holger.
    Just checking up on things I have now seen here yet as I know you are usually goos at covering it all.
    Sitting in Mostar right now.

• Oleg_D.'s Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2015 at 1:46 AM

Excellent page. But have you noticed that people from different banks of Neretva have a competition whose belfry or minaret will be higher?

• Aug 17, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Great Con comments

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Holger, I see you have been updating this page again. At least that's what it says on your list.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I didn't know there are lots of day trippers visiting from the coast, but I guess as Mostar is an interesting place to see it makes sense.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2013 at 5:55 AM

Some lovely bridges here. And I see you enjoyed some local beer also.

• Airpunk's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Great tips about Mostar, Holger! I have been there recently as well, but only for a day trip...

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Great page. I love the way you always write about the local beer. Sort of thing my hubbie always wants to know. Irene

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Great tips Holger

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Lovely page Holger! I was reading it and thinking you saw heaps more than most people, then saw you stayed here, a good idea. I love both of those bridges, and the paintings of them were lovely, would probably buy one of them if there!

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Mostar