Sarajevo Transportation Tips by HORSCHECK Top 5 Page for this destination
Sarajevo Transportation: 88 reviews and 124 photos
Explore Sarajevo on foot
Although Sarajevo with its more than 300.000 inhabitans is almost a big city, the city centre is still very walkable.
Most of the main sights are in walking distance to the historic old town (Bascarsija).
Especially in the old part of the city are many pedestrianised streets or pathways which are not accessible to cars or public transportation anyway.
Outside the old town there is a good network of trams and buses which leads you back to the city centre in case you are lost.
When we walked from the Asim Ferhatovic Hase Stadium back to the train station we came through the residential area Ciglane.
It is located on a steep hill and consists of square residential blocks. In the centre of this area the Ciglane lift can be found. It is also operated by the public transport company GRAS and saves you from climbing more than 400 steps.
I must admit that we didn't take the lift as we were quite happy to be at the upper end of the lift and continue our walk from there towards the train station.
Sarajevo tram in Ilidza
The public transport in Sarajevo is operated by the company GRAS and consists of trams, buses and trolleybuses.
Tickets can be bought from kiosks. There are basic single tickets for 1,60 KM as well as 2, 5 and 10 journey tickets with slight discounts. A day ticket sets you back 5,40 KM.
A single ticket can also be bought from thr driver for 1,80 KM (2008). On entering the vehicle the ticket has to be validated.
Tickets are only valid for one journey, so if you change the vehicle then a new ticket has to be validated.
Train to Mostar at Sarajevo station
We left Sarajevo by train to Mostar. There are two daily trains serving this route; which leads to Ploce in Croatia.
The trains leave Sarajevo in the early morning (06:45 h) and in the early evening (18:18 h).
Sarajevo's train station (Zeljenicka stancia) has only about a dozen train departures per day. These include Ploce and Zagreb in Croatia, Budapest in Hungary and some local towns like Zenica and Konjic.
Tickets can be bought at the train station. In September 2008 a single ticket Sarajevo - Mostar cost 9,90 KM.
The train station is located about 1,5 km west of the touristy city centre (Bascarsija). There is a tram stop just in front of the train station building. Tram #1 serves a route from here to the city centre.
Unfortunately, in September 2008 there was no public transportation from the airport to the city centre. So the only possibility to get to town was a taxi.
Taxis can be found just in front of the terminal building. Guidebooks list about 25 KM (ca. 12,5 Euro) as a sensible price for the about 12 to 15 km long taxi ride to the city centre.
The website of the company "Sarajevo Taxi" states a fare of 1 KM per kilometre and a starting price of 1,50 KM.
Some guidebooks also list an additional price of 2 KM for luggage.
We took a taxi from the airport to our accomodation Halvat Guesthouse, which is situated just at the eastern end of the historic old town (Bascarsija).
We agreed on a price of 30 KM, which at that time seemed to be reasonable to us. Taking the above facts into account it was probably a bit of a tourist rip off, although still reasonable for western standards.
If you don't have much luggage and are well prepared than you can walk about 800 metres to the suburb of Dobrinja from where there are trolleybuses and trams to the city centre.
I arrived in Sarajevo by plane from Cologne in Germany. Sarajevo International Airport is located in the suburb Butmir, about 7 km southwest of the city centre.
With slightly less than 600.000 passengers per year, it is the biggest aiport in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Inside the terminal building you find just the necessary facilities, such as a cash point (ATM), an exchange office, a post office and a kiosk.
Please read my "From the airport to the city by taxi" tip for info how to get to town from the airport.
More Reviews (38)
- See All Cemeteries of Sarajevo
- Vucko Souvenirs
- See All Local currency - Convertible Mark
- See All Travel Guides - Bosnia and Herzegovina
- See All Olympic sites
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Sarajevo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sarajevo - Lively heart of Bosnia and Herzegovina"
- "Something special ...."
- "SARAJEVO MY LOVE"
- "dreams submerged. the capital."
- "Beautiful and Scarred"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sarajevo
- Hotels in Sarajevo
- Transportation in Sarajevo
- Nightlife in Sarajevo
- Restaurants in Sarajevo
- Shopping in Sarajevo
- Warnings and Dangers in Sarajevo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sarajevo
- 44 Reviews
- 129 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 52 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Sarajevo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sarajevo
- Posted in Travel Cologne Forum "Re: Going to Kolnmesse everyday..."
- updated a Sarajevo Travel Page "Sarajevo - Lively heart of Bosnia and Herzegovina"
- Commented on one of IreneMcKay's Sarajevo travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Brusa Bezistan – City Museum"
- Uploaded a Video to Sarajevo
- Wrote a Review Cemeteries of Sarajevo in Sarajevo Favorites
Photos in SarajevoSee All Photos (129)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 190 photos
- London Intro, 65 reviews, 177 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baku Intro, 43 reviews, 170 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yerevan Intro, 42 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Prague Intro, 49 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (144)
- Bascarsija- 30 Reviews, 76 Photos
- Assassination Site - Latin Bridge- 13 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Gazi Husrev Bey Mosque- 13 Reviews, 32 Photos
- The Cathedral- 18 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Eternal Flame - Vjecna Vatra- 13 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Miljacka River- 11 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Sebilj Fountain- 7 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Tunnel Museum- 8 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Ali Pasha Mosque- 7 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Walking- 8 Reviews, 15 Photos
See All Sarajevo Things to Do