"Sarajevo - Lively heart of Bosnia and Herzegovina" Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo by HORSCHECK
Sarajevo Travel Guide: 1,187 reviews and 3,046 photos
In September 2008 we explored Bosnia and Herzegovina as well as Southern Croatia. The trip started with 4 nights in Sarajevo, the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The city is surrounded by the Dinaric Alps and situated at the river Miljacka, which divides it into a northern and a southern half.
In 1914 Sarajevo was the site of the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, which was the beginning of the first world war. During the recent war in the 1990's the city suffered an almost 4 year long siege and some of the scars are still very visible.
Due to its large religious and historic diversity, Sarajevo offers a wide range of architectural styles as well as religious buildings. At present (Autumn 2010) where I have visited most bigger cities in the former Yugoslavian countries, I can say that Sarajevo is one of the places which has impressed me the most.
"How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains."
--- John Muir ---
- Pros:Wide range of architectural styles; friendly people; yummy cevapi.
- Cons:No public transport from the airport to the city centre.
- In a nutshell:Lively heart of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Already on arrival by plane to Sarajevo I noticed many large cemeteries all around the town: One of the largest is... more travel advice
The wide multilane boulevard which connects the historic old town (Bascarsija) in the east with the newer residential... more travel advice
- Vucko Souvenirs
- See All Local currency - Convertible Mark
- See All Travel Guides - Bosnia and Herzegovina
- See All Olympic sites
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Sarajevo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sarajevo - Lively heart of Bosnia and Herzegovina"
- "Something special ...."
- "SARAJEVO MY LOVE"
- "dreams submerged. the capital."
- "Beautiful and Scarred"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sarajevo
- Hotels in Sarajevo
- Transportation in Sarajevo
- Nightlife in Sarajevo
- Restaurants in Sarajevo
- Shopping in Sarajevo
- Warnings and Dangers in Sarajevo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sarajevo
- 44 Reviews
- 129 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Sarajevo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sarajevo
- Posted in Travel Rovinj Forum "Re: Travel Rovinj to Zadar"
- Commented on one of IreneMcKay's Sarajevo travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Brusa Bezistan – City Museum"
- updated a Sarajevo Travel Page "Sarajevo - Lively heart of Bosnia and Herzegovina"
- Uploaded a Video to Sarajevo
- Wrote a Review Cemeteries of Sarajevo in Sarajevo Favorites
Photos in SarajevoSee All Photos (129)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo Intro, 44 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 45 reviews, 124 photos
- Gent Intro, 34 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 42 reviews, 117 photos