"Sarajevo - Lively heart of Bosnia and Herzegovina" Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo by HORSCHECK

Sarajevo Travel Guide: 1,156 reviews and 2,896 photos

In September 2008 we explored Bosnia and Herzegovina as well as Southern Croatia. The trip started with 4 nights in Sarajevo, the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

The city is surrounded by the Dinaric Alps and situated at the river Miljacka, which divides it into a northern and a southern half.

In 1914 Sarajevo was the site of the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, which was the beginning of the first world war. During the recent war in the 1990's the city suffered an almost 4 year long siege and some of the scars are still very visible.

Due to its large religious and historic diversity, Sarajevo offers a wide range of architectural styles as well as religious buildings. At present (Autumn 2010) where I have visited most bigger cities in the former Yugoslavian countries, I can say that Sarajevo is one of the places which has impressed me the most.

"How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains."
--- John Muir ---

• Pros:Wide range of architectural styles; friendly people; yummy cevapi.
  • Cons:No public transport from the airport to the city centre.
  • In a nutshell:Lively heart of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
  • Last visit to Sarajevo: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 13, 2013

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2014 at 5:09 AM

Holger great page so far. I will be back to read the things to do section.

• alza's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Thank you for this excellent tour, Holger. What a great place Sarajevo is!

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2013 at 2:35 AM

At the start of 2014 and the century commemoration of WW I we can't forget that it originated here.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2013 at 4:55 AM

Me again, coming back for another look at your fine tips on Sarajevo. Also this is the first time I have seen your video of the Ali Pasha Mosque.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2013 at 9:18 AM

If you have understand what "inat" (grudge, spite), "lako cemo" (we can easily), "polako" (slowly) means in Bosnia then you did understand their mentality. But I am afraid most of it was lost in the bloody war. My father was originally from Bosnia but I never visited Sarajevo after the war has finished. Maybe I will do it this year but am not sure, for me and my memory Sarajevo disappeared and will never be as it used to be.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Very helpful page. I see from your travel pages that like me you have a weakness for Eastern Europe. I love it. irene

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Enjoyed your page Holger. Nice to see many of the damaged buildings have been restored. Note that the local beer was OK but not exceptional.

• Avieira67's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2013 at 7:47 AM

In fact, Sarajevo is an amazing place. Thanks for your great tips!

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Such a beautiful town in the former Yogoslavia-Some day hopefully.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2013 at 9:02 PM

What a beautiful and extremey helpful page. Keep up the good work. Irene

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Sarajevo

Have you been to Sarajevo?

Latest Activity in Sarajevo