"Kamyanyets - Quaint gem of a Belarusian town" Kamyanyets by HORSCHECK

Kamyanyets Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 32 photos

We first heard about Kamyanyets from a young Belarusian couple whom we met by chance on the train from Minsk to Zaslavl. We told them about our travel plans for Belarus and they recommended us to take a day trip to Kamyanyets from Brest, which was our next planned destination after Minsk.

So during our 3 days in Brest we took the chance to also explore Kamyanyets. It is also often transliterated as Kamenets and has a population of about 9000 people. The town is located about 35 km north of Brest and belongs to the Brest Oblast.

The main reason why tourists visit Kamyanyets is the Tower of Kamyanyets, whose history dates back to the late 13th century. Other well worth seeing sights include the Russian Orthodox Church of St. Simon, the Roman Catholic Church of St. Peter and Paul and the Monument to Oleksa.

"A stone is ingrained with geological and historical memories."
--- Andy Goldsworthy ---

• Pros:Historic castle tower, gorgeous churches and beautiful landscape.
  • Cons:Lack of proper restaurants and cafes.
  • In a nutshell:Kamyanyets - Quaint gem of a Belarusian town.
  • Last visit to Kamyanyets: Aug 2011
  • Intro Updated Jul 13, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Holger, this page is labeled as ‘updated’ so I thought I’d take another look. I like the Oleksa monument.

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Great page, Holger! I imagine I will have to wait until Belarus is more visitor-friendly for English speakers before I visit there. It would be a fascinating place to go at the moment, but slightly intimidating because of the language barrier!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Hi, Holger!~ You were lucky to pay a visit to this Gem of Byelarus....

• salisbury3933's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2012 at 3:44 AM

Nice page. Would definitely like to get to Belarus some time.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Holger, nice page about Kamyanyets. Belarus does seem to be an appealing destination as it is still quite untouristic. However, the language difference, both spoken and written, would definitely be a problem in my case! Nice photos!!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Belarus is a country I have not visited yet ! Good to see that Papa Lenin was not killed there as well, but in the country-side of Russia you will also find lots of monuments of Lenin !

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Great tips on travelling to a really off the beaten path location! It was interesting to read the history of the Church of St. Peter and Paul, such a long timeline. I too would love to explore continental Europe(an area that has mostly eluded me so far) the way you do!

• himalia11's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2011 at 6:41 AM

Interesting page! Looks like a nice litte town, but I'd be completely lost without knowing any Russian! Have some nice Christmas holidays!

• wroclawiak's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Great info about Kamyanyets. I hope to visit Belrus one day. I haven't been there so far and I should go there. Thanks for exploring my Malta pages and ratings. By the way Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2011 at 3:10 PM

You must have had an real experience there and saw many good sites and things. It is good to here you found a local beer to partake, and then study the Cryllic. Great comments

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Kamyanyets

Have you been to Kamyanyets?

Latest Activity in Kamyanyets