"Minsk - City of grandiose Stalinist architecture" Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk by HORSCHECK
Minsk Travel Guide: 385 reviews and 921 photos
In summer 2011 we decided to explore Belarus, which was already on our must-visit list since a few years. Unfortunately, a visa is mandatory for the country. We started our journey in Vilnius (Lithuania), because there we could conveniently organise the visa for a 10 days independent trip through Belarus.
The first city we visited in Belarus was Minsk, where we stayed 5 nights to become acquainted with the country's peculiarities.
Minsk is not only the capital but also home to the headquarter of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS). With more than 1,8 Million inhabitants, Minsk is the biggest city in the country. It is located at the Svislach river.
Due to its almost total destruction during the Second World War, Minsk is nowadays a masterpiece of Social Realist and Soviet architecture. We were impressed by places like the Indpendence Square, Independence Avenue, Victory Square and October Square, just to name a few.
We also took the chance to take a day trip by suburban train to Zaslavl, which is a small town dating back to 985 AD. On this trip we also got in contact with a young Belarusian couple with whom we enjoyed a great day out of the big city.
"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."
--- Martin Buber ---
- Pros:Great mixture of Soviet style, classic and modern architecture.
- Cons:Visa requirements make an independent trip difficult.
- In a nutshell:Belarusian capital of grandiose Stalinist architecture.
The National Library of Belarus was founded in 1922. The current 72 m tall building was completed in summer 2006 and... more travel advice
The Isle of Tears was inaugurated in summer 1996 as a memorial complex for the fallen soldiers from Belarus, who died in... more travel advice
- See All Victory Square
- See All To Minsk by bus from Vilnius
- See All Day trip to Zaslavl
- See All Bar Drive
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Minsk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Minsk - City of grandiose Stalinist architecture"
- "Minsk - charm of soviet style architecture"
- "Minsk at first sight"
- "Belarussian Capital"
- "Minsk, the capital of Belarus"
- "My city"
- "Minsk - the capital of Belarus"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Minsk
- Hotels in Minsk
- Transportation in Minsk
- Nightlife in Minsk
- Restaurants in Minsk
- Shopping in Minsk
- Warnings and Dangers in Minsk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Minsk
- 54 Reviews
- 186 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Minsk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Minsk
- Posted in Travel Osijek Forum "Re: car rental"
- Commented on one of Felix300's Minsk tips
- updated a Minsk Travel Page "Minsk - City of grandiose Stalinist architecture"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Minsk - City of grandiose Stalinist architecture"
- Wrote a Review National Library of Belarus about Modern National Library of Belarus in Minsk Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo Intro, 44 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 45 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 34 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 42 reviews, 117 photos