"Brighton - The city by the sea" Brighton by HORSCHECK

Brighton Travel Guide: 903 reviews and 1,613 photos

I visited Brighton twice (08.1997 and 09.2002) and I decided to build my VT page about this seaside resort on the day when I read in the newspaper that the famous West Pier collapsed by the wind and rain (29/12/2002).

In the past Brighton was the place to be for the Regency Society. Nowadays Brighton offers an interesting mixture of an university town, seaside amusement, amazing architecture and a scenic beachfront.

The traditional resort of Brighton is a good base to explore England's southcoast between Portsmouth and Hastings.

"When perusing a menu, never consider anything containig the words goujon, platter, or cheesy."
--- Nineteenth Rule of Travel by Pete McCarthy ---

• Pros:Interesting mixture of traditional resort and buzzling university town.
  • Cons:Due to its popularity, Brighton is quite expensive.
  • In a nutshell:The city by the sea.
  • Last visit to Brighton: Sep 2002
  • Intro Updated Jan 20, 2008

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2011 at 9:34 AM

I've never been to Brighton and was fascinated by your insights. Helpful and interesting information. Great photographs to accompany the stellar narratives.

• vichatherly's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Excellent Brighton tips. I spent many a weekend of my youth by the sea, watching football, drinking beer and eating Fish & Chips.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2011 at 2:14 AM

You were lucky to visit Brighton two times! Great story, thanx, Holger!

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I spent a number of holidays in Brighton as a child, as it was the closest sea-side resort to where I lived. I recently discovered that a grandmother was born in Brighton.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Hi Holger, Brighton certainly looks like a nice place to visit on the water. Also, the B&B in which you stayed looks grand -- and the full English breakfast sounds delicious! Cheers, Bill

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2009 at 4:16 AM

Brighton sure looks like a fun place to spend a few days. The beach, the amusement parks, pubs and fish& chips - all sound inviting to me.

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2008 at 11:47 PM

enjoyed your page. I used to work in Portsmouth while i was in the Navy. Walked past HMS Vistory (Nelsons ship) every day going to work.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2008 at 2:49 PM

My favourite is a cold guinness Cheers

• Maria250's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2008 at 9:39 AM

Like a lot your Off The Beaten Paths tips of your various pages!! Oh yes, and seems I did see the Dom without even knowing (at least by circling w/car).

• Jan 20, 2008 at 6:41 AM

It says "updated" were you here recently without telling me or have you just added a comma?? :)

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Brighton

Have you been to Brighton?

Latest Activity in Brighton