"Caerdydd - Britain's young capital" Cardiff by HORSCHECK
Cardiff Travel Guide: 1,031 reviews and 2,996 photos
A long weekend in Germany at the end of May 2005 led me to the Welsh capital Cardiff (Caerdydd). It is home to about 320.000 people and just celebrates its 100th anniversary of city status and 50 years of Capital of Wales.
Cardiff is a very lively city with many historical and architectural sights. Among them is Cardiff Castle and the famous Millenium Stadium. For a change from the busy city centre I walked to both the small village of Llandaff and the regenerated Cardiff Bay, which are about 2 miles outside of the city centre. Apart from that, I took a trip by bus to the Glamorgan seaside resort Penarth.
One of the highlights of this trip was a VT meeting with two famous local VT members. We explored the Cardiff pub and restaurant scene and tested the different versions of Cardiff's own brewed beer Brains.
"Anywhere is walking distance, if you've got the time."
--- Steven Wright ---
- Pros:Relatively small capital with almost everything in walking distance.
- Cons:Road closures during mega events in the Millenium Stadium.
- In a nutshell:Britain's young capital.
As Cardiff is not a big capital city, everything is in walking distance in the city centre. The main sights like the... more travel advice
About a quarter of the Welsh population still speak the ancient Celtic language Welsh, which is not an English dialect.... more travel advice
- See All Parks and Gardens
- See All Side trip to Penarth
- See All Bill Bryson - Notes from a small island
- See All ASK restaurant
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Cardiff Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cardiff - the friendly capital"
- "Prifddinas Cymru (Capital of Wales)"
- "Croeso i Gaerdydd/ Welcome to Cardiff"
- "Cosmopolitan Cardiff"
- "Cardiff ......My Hometown"
- "capital of Wales"
- "Caerdydd - Britain's young capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cardiff
- Hotels in Cardiff
- Transportation in Cardiff
- Nightlife in Cardiff
- Restaurants in Cardiff
- Shopping in Cardiff
- Warnings and Dangers in Cardiff
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cardiff
- 30 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (74)
Have you been to Cardiff?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cardiff
- Posted in Travel Lviv Forum "Re: Lviv , Life , Location ,..."
- Commented on one of himalia11's Cardiff travel pages
- updated a Cardiff Travel Page "Caerdydd - Britain's young capital"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Caerdydd - Britain's young capital"
- Wrote a Review Explore Cardiff on foot about Walking in Cardiff Transportation
Photos in CardiffSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yerevan Intro, 42 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo Intro, 44 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 45 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 34 reviews, 130 photos