"Caerdydd - Britain's young capital" Cardiff by HORSCHECK

Cardiff Travel Guide: 1,057 reviews and 3,027 photos

A long weekend in Germany at the end of May 2005 led me to the Welsh capital Cardiff (Caerdydd). It is home to about 320.000 people and just celebrates its 100th anniversary of city status and 50 years of Capital of Wales.

Cardiff is a very lively city with many historical and architectural sights. Among them is Cardiff Castle and the famous Millenium Stadium. For a change from the busy city centre I walked to both the small village of Llandaff and the regenerated Cardiff Bay, which are about 2 miles outside of the city centre. Apart from that, I took a trip by bus to the Glamorgan seaside resort Penarth.

One of the highlights of this trip was a VT meeting with two famous local VT members. We explored the Cardiff pub and restaurant scene and tested the different versions of Cardiff's own brewed beer Brains.

"Anywhere is walking distance, if you've got the time."
--- Steven Wright ---

• Pros:Relatively small capital with almost everything in walking distance.
  • Cons:Road closures during mega events in the Millenium Stadium.
  • In a nutshell:Britain's young capital.
  • Last visit to Cardiff: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 6, 2012

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM

A very interesting page about Cardiff.The only time I was there it was pouring, so I didn't really get the best view of the city. I love the books by Bill Bryson.

• himalia11's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2012 at 3:22 AM

Hi Holger, this is a very nice page! And looks like you had great weather there! We are currently considering Cardiff as starting point for a Wales tour next year.

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Great reviews. A must visit by day as by night. Thanks for the Rough Guide tip as In your pocket seems still not be available for Wales ;-)

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2012 at 10:09 PM

The Taff Trail sounds nice to walk, or cycle. I visited Wales two months ago, but the northern part. One day I want to come back to see Cardiff and Southern Wales.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2012 at 6:10 AM

Excellent updates since my last visit on this page. I ordered Bill Bryson's book right away, thanks for the tip!

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Very nice page! Your hotel looks great and the Goat Major looks so quaint. Good that you had fun meeting VTers :-) (the NRW government changed the dates of Lehramtsreferendariat, so I end up with a lot more free time now and might go to Wales next year!)

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2011 at 11:20 PM

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2010 at 2:21 AM

I would like to visit Cardiff, our twin city, one day.....

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Saw you had an update - when were you last there? next time please tell me - 40 minutes to Abergavenny on Arriva trains : -)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Hi Holger, I saw the green update flag so I decided to look at what you have changed since my visit to this page over 5 years (!) ago. Quite a bit, actually. I keep hearing good things about Cardiff because my younger son's girlfriend comes from there.

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Cardiff

Have you been to Cardiff?

Latest Activity in Cardiff