"Gibraltar - Home of the Rock" Top 5 Page for this destination Gibraltar by HORSCHECK

Gibraltar Travel Guide: 1,135 reviews and 2,284 photos

Gibraltar is probably one of the places in Europe that one wants to tick off the list just to say "I have been there!". So I took the chance to visit this exhilarating British overseas territory during my trip through the Iberian peninsula in May 2006.

Gibraltar overlooks the Strait of Gibraltar and the northern coast of Africa, which is only about 14 km away. Its area of 6.5 square kilometres is home to about 29.000 people and the famous Barbary apes.

The highlight of every trip to Gibraltar is of course a visit of the 426 m high rock with its cheeky apes, but the city itself has many other sights well worth seeing. Among them are the defensive walls with its gates, the convent with the the changing of the guard, various churches and the Marina.

"Well, Gibraltar is a place which you either love or hate. I quite like it. It's a rock, that is essentially what it is. It's a British colony."
--- Nigel Short ---

• Pros:Panoramic views of the Strait of Gibraltar.
  • Cons:Levant clouds can obscure the view from the rock.
  • In a nutshell:Home of the Rock.
  • Last visit to Gibraltar: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 9, 2011

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2012 at 2:53 AM

I had no idea it's such an interesting place. Must be quite frustrating to have climbed (and paid for) the rock and then to see *nothing*. Ugh. Thanks for the warning on the apes ... but they are too cute :-)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Lots of great photos and information regarding your visit to Gibraltar! I had not realized that traffic had to switch to the right due to so many accidents! Interesting info on the Barbary apes too - my wife and I only had time for a short visit on the 'Rock', but we too really enjoyed our explorations of this amazing destination.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Excellent page! Your page really makes me wish I could visit there. For a long time I have been fascinated by the Barbary Apes, and the fact that its airport is considered to be one of the 10 most difficult landings in the world. Thanks for sharing all this great info.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Great Gibraltar page! Can't say I would wan't to be bitten by one of the Apes, that would hurt, some people never learn though!

• picek's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Monkeys at the doors of Europe, that's something! I love the cloud photo - very atmospheric one. Good work, mate :)

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2011 at 5:07 AM

Great page. Very interesting. Cheers,
    Irene

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2011 at 1:50 AM

Very interesting and useful page about Gibraltar! Nice to see what you can see and do there while ticking it off the list :-)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2010 at 4:10 AM

Hi, Holger! That's an attractive destination indeed!

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Nice page about Gibraltar, I might visit this summer. Useful transportation tips as usual! :)

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Gibraltar is stunning especially the Rock. Levanter cloub is quite peculiar! It certainly has some interesting attractions especially Convent, Barbary apes, cathedral, squares, city gates and fortifications. We hope to visit it one day! ~ho & pang

HORSCHECK Visits Here Frequently!

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Gibraltar

Have you been to Gibraltar?

Latest Activity in Gibraltar