"London - Europe's thrilling metropolis" London by HORSCHECK

London Travel Guide: 25,300 reviews and 56,993 photos

I have visited London in 1987 for the first time. Since then I have returned to the city 15 times for both holiday and business reasons. My last trip was in August 2015 for a VT meeting in honour of VT member wabat from Australia. It was was my 5th VT meeting in the English capital.

Apart from many other events, I have seen a football match of Arsenal London (1991) and a Rugby game of England in Twickenham (2007). In June 1999 I have queued for the Wimbledon Tennis Championships and I also attended concents of The Mission (1993) and U2 (1997).

London with an estimated population of approximately 9 Million inhabitants is huge, exciting, multi-cultured, cosmopolitan and always worth a visit. In fact it is among my favourite cities in Western Europe and I find it fascinating to see the city changing over the last 30 years.

Last but not least London is well placed for sidetrips by public transport to the surrounding districts and towns. Among these are the royal enclave Windsor, the university town Oxford or the resorts on the English southcoast with Brighton being the most popular.

This page consists of a collection of tips from my several trips to London.
Some tips still have scanned slides as photos and might be outdated, others are very much up to date.

"On arrival buy a local paper and go for a drink."
--- First Rule of Travel by Pete McCarthy ---

• Pros:Plenty to see and do for everyone.
  • Cons:Not the cheapest place on earth, but worth every penny!
  • In a nutshell:Europe's thrilling metropolis.
  • Last visit to London: Aug 2015
  • Intro Updated Jan 24, 2016

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2016 at 11:39 PM

I love London! Thank you for the virtual tour. I will come back to see more for sure.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2016 at 9:40 AM

Great page Holger! Thanks for the tour of London.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Fabulous page, Holger! Great photos and very informative. Have been to London several times and it is one of my favorite cities!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2016 at 2:26 AM

Fine updates and new tips from last summer. I really enjoyed being in London again (my first visit in nineteen years) and attending the VT meetintg.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2015 at 5:24 AM

Excellent updates here, Holger. It's been too long that I've last looked at this page; there's always something new in London!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2015 at 1:13 PM

a lot of great updates here again, Holger !

• Odiseya's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2015 at 12:00 AM

London is on my wishing list. I hope I go there someday and I like your version of London. Thank you for virtual tour!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2015 at 10:36 PM

interesting to see London through your eyes, Holger !

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2015 at 11:26 AM

I haven't been back to London since my daughter's graduation from SOAS, which was about 17 years ago, so I'm really looking forward to going again this summer. Hope to see you there!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Hi, Holger! Thanks for sharing your memories! You have created an interesting page about the World City!)

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in London