"London - Europe's thrilling metropolis" London by HORSCHECK
London Travel Guide: 25,300 reviews and 56,993 photos
I have visited London in 1987 for the first time. Since then I have returned to the city 15 times for both holiday and business reasons. My last trip was in August 2015 for a VT meeting in honour of VT member wabat from Australia. It was was my 5th VT meeting in the English capital.
Apart from many other events, I have seen a football match of Arsenal London (1991) and a Rugby game of England in Twickenham (2007). In June 1999 I have queued for the Wimbledon Tennis Championships and I also attended concents of The Mission (1993) and U2 (1997).
London with an estimated population of approximately 9 Million inhabitants is huge, exciting, multi-cultured, cosmopolitan and always worth a visit. In fact it is among my favourite cities in Western Europe and I find it fascinating to see the city changing over the last 30 years.
Last but not least London is well placed for sidetrips by public transport to the surrounding districts and towns. Among these are the royal enclave Windsor, the university town Oxford or the resorts on the English southcoast with Brighton being the most popular.
This page consists of a collection of tips from my several trips to London.
Some tips still have scanned slides as photos and might be outdated, others are very much up to date.
"On arrival buy a local paper and go for a drink."
--- First Rule of Travel by Pete McCarthy ---
- Pros:Plenty to see and do for everyone.
- Cons:Not the cheapest place on earth, but worth every penny!
- In a nutshell:Europe's thrilling metropolis.
The Gherkin is the nickname of a 180 metres tall gherkin shaped skyscraper in the City of London. Its official name is... more travel advice
During the August 2015 "VT Meeting for wabat" we explored Hampstead. VT member Britannia2 (Colin) led us through this... more travel advice
- See All Oyster Card
- See All Ibis Hotel - Earls Court
- See All Lighting Festival - Switched on London
- See All Rugby at Twickenham Stadium
- See All Horniman at Hays
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
London Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Current Home"
- "Maybe it's Because I'm A Londoner...."
- "Gor Blimey guv'ner...you'r having a larf......"
- "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner ..."
- "London, the capital of England"
- "When a man tires of London, he is tired of life"
- See All...
- Things to Do in London
- Hotels in London
- Transportation in London
- Nightlife in London
- Restaurants in London
- Shopping in London
- Warnings and Dangers in London
- See All...
Badges & Stats in London
- 65 Reviews
- 176 Photos
- 18 Forum posts
- 110 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (89)
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in London
- Posted in Travel Nürnberg Forum "Re: Nurnberg to Geiselwind?"
- Commented on one of Britannia2's London tips
- updated a London Travel Page "London - Europe's thrilling metropolis"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Queueing for the Wimbledon Tennis Championships"
- Wrote a Review The Gherkin about Gherkin - 30 St. Mary Axe in London Things to Do
Photos in LondonSee All Photos (176)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 190 photos
- London Intro, 65 reviews, 177 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baku Intro, 43 reviews, 170 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yerevan Intro, 42 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Prague Intro, 49 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue