"Faro - Capital of the Algarve" Top 5 Page for this destination Faro by HORSCHECK

Faro Travel Guide: 231 reviews and 769 photos

I travelled through Portugal and Spain with main stops in Lisbon and Marbella in May 2006. As it was almost impossible to get from Lisbon to Marbella on public transportation in one day, I decided to take a 1 day break in Faro at the Algarve, just to get an idea of this popular holiday region.

Faro was one of the destinations where I hadn't booked any accomodation in advance. So after arrival I went to the tourist information. They gave me the address of a fabulous hotel which had rooms for a very special rate, which was even below my planned budget. In the hotel I got in contact with a young-ish couple from Australia and Canada who had also just arrived from Lisbon and were planning to go to Sevilla the next day, which was my plan as well. So it was just a perfect start for my day in Faro.

Faro has about 60.000 inhabitants and is home to the nature reserve Ria Formosa Lagoon. Due to its international airport, Faro is well known by all package tourists who are heading to the Algarve. But the city itself is well worth a daytrip or even more as it has a quaint old town and a lovely seafront.

"Half the fun of the travel is the esthetic of lostness."
--- Ray Bradbury ---

• Pros:Quaint old town and lovely seafront.
  • Cons:Faro can be very hot in summer.
  • In a nutshell:Capital of the Algarve.
  • Last visit to Faro: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 28, 2011

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Faro looks like a nice town to spend a day in. I love the azulejos you can see everywhere in the country.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2011 at 5:53 PM

an interesting town, Holger and it is great to see that lots of storks are living there as well !

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Holger, you have managed to see lots of splendid places.... Good for you! ><><><><

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2010 at 11:50 AM

faro looks a lot more interesting than armacao but at least we had albufeira nearby. love the storks.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2010 at 7:44 AM

I wanted to spend a day in Faro during my first trip to Portugal but I just fell in love with Lisboa and stayed there :) My flight back was from Faro so at least I took a bus journey there. Lovely page, Holger! Next time I'm not going to miss Faro :)

• hazabaza's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2010 at 3:42 AM

is it easy enough to get to the Faro train station from Faro airport? I may want to do the reverse journey - Faro to Lisbon

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2009 at 10:13 PM

holger, thanks for your nice comments on my Porto and Madeira albums. You have wonderful Faro tips. The weather looks also very good one from your photo. I want to go to Faro sometime.

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2009 at 7:45 AM

liked your page very much - we have still to go there...... nut we have plans to do that

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Nice page. I must confess that you know Faro better than I, I've only strolled around the marina and the castle.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2009 at 5:57 AM

When we were in the Algarve we never did have a proper visit of Faro. It does have some very lovely churches. We do prefer the little towns along the coast.

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Faro