"Guimaraes - The cradle of Portugal" Top 5 Page for this destination Guimarães by HORSCHECK
Guimarães Travel Guide: 163 reviews and 539 photos
Guimaraes was my first stop in Portugal on the way to the 5th VT Euromeet in Cascais near Lisbon. The town was actually recommended to me by VT member maurizioago. I checked it out on some VT pages and decided to spend one night there.
As Guimaraes was the birthplace of Portugal's first king, D. Afonso Henriques, it is often referred to as "the cradle of Portugal". The picturesque historic city centre is home to many well preserved churches and monuments.
From Guimaraes I also took a half day sidetrip by cable car to the Penha Mountain. This rocky area offers magnificent views of Guimaraes as well as several worth seeing churches, monuments and grottos.
"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move."
--- Robert Louis Stevenson ---
- Pros:Quaint historic city centre; panoramic views from the Penha Mountain.
- Cons:Guimaraes can get very hot in summer.
- In a nutshell:The cradle of Portugal - Aqui nasceu Portugal.
If you stay a few days in Guimaraes, then a trip to Porto is highly recommended. We actually stayed 4 days in Porto and... more travel advice
The north of Portugal is especially famous for its portwine from the Douro Valley. Nevertheless, there are also some... more travel advice
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Guimarães Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guimaraes - The cradle of Portugal"
- "The Enchanting Medieval City of Guimaraes"
- "Toy medieval city with very friendly people!"
- "Guimarães: The Cradle of Portugal"
- "Birthplace of Portugal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guimarães
- Hotels in Guimarães
- Transportation in Guimarães
- Restaurants in Guimarães
- Shopping in Guimarães
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guimarães
- 21 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (91)
Have you been to Guimarães?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guimarães
- Posted in Travel K'ut'aisi Forum "Re: Are there regular marshrutki..."
- Commented on one of cachaseiro's Guimarães travel pages
- updated a Guimarães Travel Page "Guimaraes - The cradle of Portugal"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Guimaraes - The cradle of Portugal"
- Wrote a Review Trip to Porto in Guimarães Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Video to Guimarães
Photos in GuimarãesSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 190 photos
- London Intro, 65 reviews, 177 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baku Intro, 43 reviews, 170 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yerevan Intro, 42 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Prague Intro, 49 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue